No attendees found in ICS Calander file (C# .NET)

Hello Aspose,

We have a visitor management system that uses the Aspose Email software to read incoming meeting requests from a mailbox. We fetch the .ics file from the mail and load this into an Aspose Appointment object. Once we have the Appointment object, we use that information to create a visit registration in our system. In most cases this works just fine but we see that some Appointment objects don’t have any attendees when there should be.

The attendees are visible in the .ics file but not loaded into the Appointment object. I compared 2 .ics files, one that works and one that doesn’t and there is some difference in the way the attendees are listed.

Working .ics file:
BEGIN:VCALENDAR
METHOD:REQUEST
PRODID:Microsoft Exchange Server 2010
VERSION:2.0
BEGIN:VTIMEZONE
TZID:Romance Standard Time
BEGIN:STANDARD
DTSTART:16010101T030000
TZOFFSETFROM:+0200
TZOFFSETTO:+0100
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;INTERVAL=1;BYDAY=-1SU;BYMONTH=10
END:STANDARD
BEGIN:DAYLIGHT
DTSTART:16010101T020000
TZOFFSETFROM:+0100
TZOFFSETTO:+0200
RRULE:FREQ=YEARLY;INTERVAL=1;BYDAY=-1SU;BYMONTH=3
END:DAYLIGHT
END:VTIMEZONE
BEGIN:VEVENT
ORGANIZER;CN=Noel Vroninks:MAILTO:xxxxx@seris.be
ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=TRUE;CN=Frederik W
inters:MAILTO:xxxxx@riskmatrix.be
ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=TRUE;CN=Lander Van
welkenhuyzen:MAILTO:xxxxx@riskmatrix.be
ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=TRUE;CN=xxxxx@my
seris.be:MAILTO:xxxxx@myseris.be
DESCRIPTION;
SUMMARY;LANGUAGE=en-US:RMR - Bekaert
DTSTART;TZID=Romance Standard Time:20190305T110000
DTEND;TZID=Romance Standard Time:20190305T130000
CLASS:PUBLIC
PRIORITY:5
DTSTAMP:20190214T133224Z
TRANSP:OPAQUE
SEQUENCE:0
LOCATION;LANGUAGE=en-US:SERIS HQ Diegem
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-APPT-SEQUENCE:0
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-OWNERAPPTID:688793571
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-BUSYSTATUS:TENTATIVE
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-INTENDEDSTATUS:BUSY
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-ALLDAYEVENT:FALSE
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-IMPORTANCE:1
X-MICROSOFT-CDO-INSTTYPE:0
X-MICROSOFT-DONOTFORWARDMEETING:FALSE
X-MICROSOFT-DISALLOW-COUNTER:FALSE
X-MICROSOFT-LOCATIONS:
BEGIN:VALARM
DESCRIPTION:REMINDER
TRIGGER;RELATED=START:-PT15M
ACTION:DISPLAY
END:VALARM
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR

Not working .ics file:
BEGIN:VCALENDAR
PRODID:Google Mail Tnef Converter 1.0
VERSION:2.0
METHOD:REQUEST
BEGIN:VEVENT
ORGANIZER;CN=“Noel Vroninks”:mailto:xxxxx@seris.be
DTSTART:20191017T061600Z
DTEND:20191017T062900Z
ATTENDEE;CN=“Bert Smeets”;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT:mailto:xxxxx@riskmatrix.be
ATTENDEE;CN=‘xxxxx@gmail.com’;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT:mailto:xxxxx@gma
il.com
ATTENDEE;CN=‘xxxxx@myseris.be’;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT:mailto:xxxxx@myseri
s.be
UID:040000008200E00074C5B7101A82E00800000000C0AD914B3184D501000000000000000
010000000C16DD172ABC86748B03AC2A45D988855
SUMMARY:
LAST-MODIFIED:20191016T133705Z
CLASS:PUBLIC
PRIORITY:5
DTSTAMP:20191016T133708Z
END:VEVENT
END:VCALENDAR

Why does the second one show an empty list of Attendees? All other parameters like Organizer and Location are available in the Appointment object for both .ics files.

Thank you for your feedback.

@bert.s,

I have observed your requirements and request you to please try using latest Aspose.Email for 19.9 on your end. In case there is still an issue then please share the working sample project along with source files reproducing the issue so that we may investigate them further on our end to help you out.

@mudassir.fayyaz,

We already tried the latest version of Aspose.Email (19.9) but without any success. It’s difficult to give a full working project that reproduces the error but I’ve added a part of our code that fetches the email and creates an Appointment object.
CheckForNewMails.zip (863 Bytes)

I hope you can work with this.

@bert.s,

Can you please share the working and non working ICS files so that we may proceed with investigation. Without ICS file that is creating issue for you, we may not be able to investigate the issue .

@Adnan.Ahmad,

In my first post I added the working and non working ICS files, I only changed the email addresses due to privacy regulations but this shouldn’t change the outcome of the tests.

@bert.s,

Thank you for sharing the information. An issue with ID EMAILNET-39622 has been created in our issue tracking system to further investigate and resolve the issue. This thread has been linked with the issue so that you may be notified once the issue will be fixed.

@bert.s,

We have investigated the issue on our end. The reason of this issue is, “incorrect folding of long lines in ics file”.

ATTENDEE;ROLE=REQ-PARTICIPANT;PARTSTAT=NEEDS-ACTION;RSVP=TRUE;CN=xxxxx@my
seris.be:MAILTO:xxxxx@myseris.be

The 2-nd line must start from space or tab symbol, please see RFC. Can you please try following:

1. Fetch incorrect ics file using Outlook and send to us for investigation.
  2. Turn on logging while working with Imap client as described here and send log file to us for investigation.

In my first post I already included the incorrect ics file. I also ran the example project and attached the log file to this post.

I hope you can find a solution to this problem.

Kind regards,

Bert

Aspose.Email.IMAP_2019-11-06.log.zip (36.4 KB)

@bert.s,

Thanks for sharing requested files.

@Adnan.Ahmad,
@mudassir.fayyaz,

I see that the status of the issue is “Resolved” but I did not receive any feedback on how to fix this problem. Are you still working on this or did I miss something?

Kind regards,

Bert

@bert.s,

You are right about issue being resolved. However, it has been marked as resolved in upcoming Aspose.Email for .NET 19.11. We will share the notification with you as soon as the product will be shared online.

@mudassir.fayyaz,

I see that you already released 19.11 and 19.12 but I don’t see anything about EMAILNET-39622 in the release notes.

When can we expect an update where this issue will be fixed?

Kind regards,

Bert Smeets

@bert.s,

Please accept my apology for inconvenience on your end. We have requested you to please share the following information:

You have shared the log file with us but the log file does not contain the required calendar file.
File delivered using Outlook has not been shared as well from your side. Can you please provide the requested information again with us in accordance to guidelines shared.

@mudassir.fayyaz

I’m sorry but this is totally unacceptable! First you say that you have found the problem and it’s going to be resolved in the 19.11 release and now you are saying that I have to provide more information…?!

I shared the ICS file in my first post and some posts later I added the log files. I’m not sure what more information you need from me… Please be more specific if you need other information but I think the ICS file must be enough for you to test the problem.

Bert Smeets

@bert.s,

Please accept my sincere apologies for your inconvenience. You are right that you have shared the log file with us, but the log file does not contain the required calendar file. File delivered using Outlook has not been shared as well from your side. Can you please provide the requested information again with us in accordance to guidelines shared.

Can you please kindly refer to my last post. I will try my best to expedite the issue investigation once requested information will be available.

@mudassir.fayyaz

I’m sorry but I don’t know what information you need from us.

1. The log file does not contain the required calender file? With “calender file” you mean the ICS? Because the ICS is shared in the first post.
  2. File delivered using Outlook? I should think that this is again the ICS file…?

You have to know that this issue presented itself with one of our clients, I can’t just send you their mails. Please use the ICS file I gave you and test this yourself to find the problem. I’m sure there are other people experiencing the same problems.

@bert.s,

We are verifying this on our end and will get back to you as soon as possible and are sorry for your inconvenience.

@bert.s,

We have reopened the issue EMAILNET-39622 on our end. We will try to fix the issue once again on our end and will share the feedback with you as soon as it will be available.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as EMAILNET-39622) have been fixed in this update.

We downloaded the new version and tested our application with it but nothing changed… We still get no attendees in our Appointment object…