Obsolete members support

I have a project that was recently upgraded to v18 from a much earlier version. Some members are now marked obsolete with comments they will no longer be supported after 2014, yet the code continues to work and no compiler exceptions are thrown (just the obsolete warnings). Is there a plan to have those members throw exceptions in a future release? And if so, which release?

Cheers.

@mnurre,

Thanks for your query.

Could you please share a sample console application (runnable) which contains those members and earlier version for which it was working fine? We will analyze those members and provide our feedback.

The code still runs fine. I’m asking about the compiler warning regarding those obsolete methods.The obsolete methods have comments stating the method will not be available after 2014. It is now 2018 and the code continues to run fine and the methods are still available. Do you plan on making these obsolete methods throw a compiler error in the future to ensure the methods are no longer used? If so, when will that be?

@mnurre,

Could you please share requested application so that we can check the code and share our feedback after analysis.

I cannot share the application as it’s proprietary. But as an example, the Aspose.Cells.Workbook.Styles property is marked as obsolete. The remarks say the property will be removed 12 months after February of 2015. Does Aspose still plan on removing this property?

@mnurre,

Aspose.Cells.Workbook.Styles is recently removed from the API. When a feature is marked as obsolete, its alternates are always suggested and can be removed from the API at any time after the specified time in the documents. Best practice is to update the code and use alternate as it may cause issues while updating to some higher version. I am afraid that it is hard to provide complete list of those APIs which are marked as obsolete after the product version you are using and the actual dates of their removal. You may try to remove such calls from your code for better code management and performance gain.

Thanks for your reply.