ODS to XLSX - Aspose produces a broken file that has to be repaired

When converting an ODS to XLSX, Aspose produces a broken XLSX file that needs to be repaired when opened in Excel. After repairing the XLSX file, content is missing from the spreadsheet, such as graphs.

Using:
com.aspose.cells.LoadOptions loadOptions = new com.aspose.cells.LoadOptions(FileFormatType.ODS);
Workbook workbook = new Workbook(inputPath, loadOptions);
workbook.save(outputPath, com.aspose.cells.SaveFormat.XLSX);

Using aspose-cells-20.6.4.jar

Original and “after Aspose” files attached here:
RepairXLSX.zip (287.7 KB)

@simon.wiseman,
I have tried to convert this with MS Excel but this dialog box appears. Excel.PNG (3.3 KB)

The output xlsx created by Excel looks same as the output created by Aspose.Cells. So this looks like limitation of ODS to Excel conversion.

I am using “Microsoft Excel 2019 MSO (16.0.13001.20266) 32-bit” and I get a repair dialog pop-up when I open the XLSX file (see attached screenshot).
Please can you clarify when version of Excel you were using please. Thank you.
repair.PNG (3.1 KB)

@simon.wiseman,
I have tested it with MS Excel for office 365 MSO (16.0.11929.20836) 32-bit.

What is happening in regards to this case? Is a fix being looked at for it? Thanks.

@simon.wiseman,
No further investigation is done in this regard as it was informed earlier that even MS Excel is not able to convert it properly and charts are missing in the output. The same output is generated by Aspose.Cells, therefore it does not seem to be an issue. Please share some sample ODS file which is converted fine by MS Excel. We will try the sample file with Aspose.Cells and share our feedback.

When opening the ODS in Excel, the image on the first sheet is shown as a missing image, but all of the other images, graphs and cells are displayed correctly.
However, when the ODS is translated using Aspose to an XLSX the file does not open without repair in Excel.
Aspose should produce the same file as Excel, giving a broken image but preserving everything else.

@simon.wiseman,
We have noted the issue of missing image in the repaired Excel file and also logged the broken file issue for further investigation. We will notify you here once any update is ready for sharing.

This issue is logged as:
CELLSJAVA-43372 - Corrupted file created while converting ODS to XLSX

@simon.wiseman,
This is to inform you that we have fixed your issue now. We will soon provide you the fixed version after performing QA and incorporating other enhancements and fixes.

Great, thank you.

@simon.wiseman,

Please try our latest version/fix: Aspose.Cells for Java v20.12.2 (attached)
Your issue should be fixed in it.
Let us know your feedback.
aspose-cells-20.12.2-java.zip (7.2 MB)

Yes, the latest Aspose Cells v20.12.2 has fixed this issue. Many thanks.

@simon.wiseman,

Good to know that your issue is resolved by the new fix. In the event of further queries or issue, feel free to contact us any time, we will be happy to assist you soon.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as CELLSJAVA-43372) have been fixed in this update. This message was posted using Bugs notification tool by johnson.shi

Yep the issues are still fixed in Cells version 21.1 - thanks.

@simon.wiseman,

Thanks for your feedback and good to know that your issue is resolved in latest version.