ODT bug: footnote numbering always restarts with each page

Hello,

There seems to be a bug in Aspose.Words whereby, when you convert an RTF document to ODT, if the RTF document has continuously-numbered footnotes, the created ODT document will have footnotes whose numbering restarts on each page.

I have attached a sample RTF file (FnSequenceTest.rtf) to demonstrate the problem. Please try the following:

1. Open this file in any word processor that supports footnotes - e.g. Word or OpenOffice. Note how the footnotes are numbered 1 through 9 (1-3 on the first page, 4-6 on the second page, 7-8 on the third page, and 9 on the last page).

2. Use Aspose.Words to convert the RTF file to .doc or .docx formats. Open the .doc or .docx file in Word - note that the footnotes appear correctly numbered.

3. Now use Aspose.Words to convert the RTF file to ODT format. Open the generated ODT file in OpenOffice (or Libre Office or suchlike). Note how the footnote numbering now restarts on each page (1-3 on the first page, 1-3 the second page, 1-2 on the third page, 1 on the last page).

If you open the original RTF file in OpenOffice, it appears correctly, with continuous footnote numbering, so it is clearly the Aspose.Words conversion process that is causing the problem.

It seems that Aspose.Words is forcing \ftnrestart or \sftnrestart during the conversion. The restarting of footnote numbering on each page should be supported if these tags are present in the original RTF file, of course, but it should not be forced; sequential numbering should be supported.

I hope you are able to fix this in your next update or shortly thereafter.

Thanks and all the best,

Keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your inquiry. I have managed to reproduce the same issue at my side. I have logged this issue as WORDSNET-7864 in our issue tracking system. I have linked this forum thread to the same issue and you will be notified via this forum thread once this issue is resolved.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-7864) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.

Sorry, I completely missed this response. Many thanks for fixing this!

All the best,

Keith

Hi Keith,

Thanks for your feedback. Please feel free to ask if you have any question about Aspose.Words, we will be happy to help you.