Office 2007 Support

Hi

I am evaluating Aspose.Cells. Is there any way I can find out what is and isn’t supported in Office 2007 (xlsx) format.

For instance, Pivot tables aren’t supported, which are really important to our project. I also noticed that when I tried the same code I used for xlsx as xls that background colours did not render and charts don’t render the same.

Thanks

Jared

Hi Jared,

Aspose.Cells for .NET supports MS Excel 2007 XLSX format. Well, mostly features are supported related MS Excel 2007, but, there are certain features which are not supported yet as we are working some of these features these days.

Let me briefly highlight the features which are not supported or partially supported:

• Aspose.Cells supports creating Charts in MS Excel 2007, but some charts pattern styles (which use theme color) are not supported yet.

• Creating Pivot Tables and Pivot Charts are not supported.

• table feature in MS Excel 2007 is not supported yet.

• Some new condition formatting feature in MS Excel 2007, such as icon, is not supported , currently, we are working on it

I also noticed that when I tried the same code I used for xls as xls that background colors did not render and charts don’t render the same.

Could you explain it more, we appreciate if you could provide us your sample code with output .xls and xlsx files to show the issue. We will check it soon.

Thank you.

Amjad

I have attached my code and the outputs.

Looking again, I suspect the difference in the chart colours may be because I am not explicitly selecting colours and the default is black in xls format?

I am still not sure why my sub-total rows on ‘Table 1’ are not coloured in xls format.

Cheers

Jared

Hi Jared,

I am still not sure why my sub-total rows on 'Table 1' are not coloured in xls format.

Well in xls file (MS Excel 97-2003), the default color palette has only 56 colors (0-55 indexed): http://www.aspose.com/documentation/file-format-components/aspose.cells-for-.net-and-java/colors-and-palette.html So, if a color is not there on the palette, you have add it on the palette changing the palette using Workbook.ChangePalette() method before setting the color for your subtotals and grandtotals etc. e.g..,

// Add dark green color to the palette on the last index.

workbook.ChangePalette(System.Drawing.Color.DarkGreen, 55);

// Add yellow green color to the palette on the second last index.

workbook.ChangePalette(System.Drawing.Color.YellowGreen, 54);

Where as for .xlsx file (MS Excel 2007) has a long list of colors, you don't really add them to the palette because the colors are already there on the palette.

I suspect the difference in the chart colours may be because I am not explicitly selecting colours and the default is black in xls format?

I suspect the difference in the chart colours may be because I am not explicitly selecting colours and the default is black in xls format?

I think you may try to set the colors for chart objects in an XLS file.

Thank you.

Amjad

Thanks for your response, I guessed that might be the case.

Do you have a development road map (time scale) for getting pivot tables working in xlsx files? This really is critical to us being able to use your component in our product.

Thanks

Jared

Hi Jared,

OK, we will check if we can provide an eta for your desired feature (Pivot Table support in MS Excel 2007 xlsx files).

Thank you.

Hi,

We will look into reading/writing pivot table for xlsx format file in Nov. It may take 4 or 6 weeks to finish it.

Thank you.

@jaredfholgate,

We supported the feature (create, manipulate and refresh Pivot Tables in XLSX) with enhancements in newer versions. We recommend you to kindly give it a try to latest version of Aspose.Cells. Also, see the document for your reference:
Create Pivot Tables and Pivot Charts