OOM reading xls document

I’ve been testing using Aspose for doing text extraction of MS documents for searching as a replacement for POI and I’ve run into a bit of an issue.

I have this one fairly large excel document (34MB) which seems to cause aspose.cells to OOM even with a 1.5GB heap (A larger heap isn’t an option unfortunately). I’ve attached the code I’m using to extract text from the excel document - it seems the OOM is happening in the “workbook.open(in);” section of the code. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

Thank you for considering Aspose.

Well, I have checked your scenario a bit using the latest version of Aspose.Cells with a file about 50MB, and it works fine.Can you please zip your template file and share it here, we will check for the OOM issue.

Thank You & Best Regards,

Please see attached.

Hi,

Thanks for providing us the template file.

Well, a 35MB file would require certain memory, please make sure that you have given enough memory to JVM. I have tested your file with the attached version using your code (I have added some more codes e.g.., write the contents of the file (using StringBuilder sb object) on the console prompt, save the file etc.) and it works fine here, I do not get OutOfMemoryError whatsoever. Which version of Aspose.Cells for Java you are using? We recommend you to try the attached version and let us know if you still find any problem.

BTW, I use the following command line on my Microsoft Windows XP command prompt, I have Intel Pentium Dual core 2.00GHz CPU to test

java -Xms1000m -Xmx1000 TestExample

Thank you.

Ah, I used the version that came in the total package - that jar is smaller. I can find no obvious reference anywhere to the actual version of the package though … so whatever is in the total package as of Wed/Thursday last week :slight_smile:

Hi,

Well, Aspose.Total package: http://www.aspose.com/community/files/50/product-suites/aspose.total/entry88905.aspx includes Aspose.Cells for Java version 2.0.0.0 (Official release): http://www.aspose.com/community/files/51/aspose.cells/entry152824.aspx which we released some days ago. The version (2.0.0.14) I posted in my last reply is the latest bug fix in which we have also optimized the performance a bit. Normally, we enhance the component and post urgent fixes (for the bugs which our clients point out) in the forums against user needs urgently. You may use this fix as long as you wish, it will behave like our official release. Moreover, our next official release would include the functionality the previous fixes including this one too.

Hope you understand now :)

Thank you.