Opening excel file

get error message 'This file’s format is not supported or you don’t specify a correct format.'

when i try to open excel file .xls. tried to open with all excel format’s didn’t work.
It open’s if i try FileFormatType.TabDelimited
it works if i save it as a workbook

Hi,

For your issue i.e…,"It open’s if i try FileFormatType.TabDelimited it works if i save it as a workbook"
Well, I think your so called XLS file might be actually a text file or a tab delimited file, so the FileFormatType.TabDelimited enumeration is needed to open the file. For confirmation, you may try to open the file in Notepad or open it into MS Excel and try to save it as and check the Save type combo box value.

If you still have the problem or other differences, kindly attach the file, we will check your issue soon.

Thank you.

has it something to do with protective view?

Anyway here is the file that you said you would look at to check the issue.

Thanks again

Hi,

When I tried to open your attached file, I got security issue in MS Excel, so your file is corrupt which cannot be opened by either MS Excel or Aspose.Cells.

After further analyzing your file, well, your file actually contains Excel95 or earlier file format or records, so Aspose.Cells cannot load or open the file. Aspose.Cells does not support to read/write BIFF7 or older file formats as it only supports BIFF8 and greater file formats (Excel 97 - Excel 2010).
We can only suggest or try a workaround for you as we cannot support the older file formats in our product. You may try the following steps to work with these files for Aspose.Cells product, so that Aspose.Cells could open/process the file fine, there is no alternative I am afraid:
E.g
Open your template file into MS Excel (e.g…,Ms Excel 2003 or 2007).
Save the file As “Microsoft Office Excel Workbook”.

Thank you.

@mark38,

We recommend you to kindly try upgrading to and use latest version of the product which includes support for older BIFF7 (Excel 95/5.0 - 2003 Workbook) formats with enhancements now:

Also, see the document for supported input and output file formats by Aspose.Cells: