Optimize for Web

Hi,

I just found one good article about compression of PDF documents:

http://www.planetpdf.com/enterprise/article.asp?ContentID=reducing_pdf_file_size_

There is written that if Acrobat is used and you choose Save as… then document will be optimized.

I tested with one 24Mb document and newly saved document (with Save as…) has size of 6Mb.

Maybe something to help you investigation and improvement of compression.

BR,

Oliver

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for sharing your findings. We have shared the information with product team. They will look into it during the issue investigation. We will keep you updated about the issue resolution progress.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.

Best Regards,
Hi,

any update here?
I am afraid that nothing is happening as I checked some other topics where compression was reported and there is nowhere any progress.

When can we expect some updates?

Thanks,
Oliver

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for your patience.

The product team started investigating earlier reported issue but I am afraid due to its complexity, its not yet resolved. However I have intimated the product team to share latest progress regarding its resolution and as soon as we have some definite updates, we will let you know.

We are sorry for this delay and inconvenience.
Hi,

Maybe like an idea what can be done: http://www.pdf-tools.com/pdf/pdf-optimization-reduce-size.aspx

Each function can be selected and configured individually. For instance, you can specify that all bi-tonal images with a resolution of 300 dpi or more should be reduced to 200 dpi and compressed using JBIG2.

• Resolution reduction (down-sampling) for color and grayscale images, bi-tonal images and indexed images
  • Specification of a threshold where down-sampling starts
  • Color conversion
    • To RGB
    • To CMYK
    • To grayscale
  • Recompression
    • JPEG
    • JPEG2000
    • JBIG2
    • CCITT G3, G3-2D, G4
    • Flate
    • LZW
  • Subsetting of fonts
  • Removal of embedded font programs from standard fonts (un-embedding)
  • Optimization of resources
  • Removal of redundant objects
  • Removal of undesired information such as
    • Article threads
    • Alternative images
    • Metadata
    • Page piece information
    • Document structure tree
    • Thumbnails
    • Spider information
    • List used fonts and their attributes
    • List image attributes used
      • Page number
      • Size
      • Resolution
      • Color space
      • Compression type
      • Compression ratio
      • Space requirements in the PDF document
    • Linearize documents for fast web view
    • Read and write encrypted documents
    • Remove or flatten form fields and annotations
When using pdf-tools web optimizer I managed to reduce size of one PDF document from 8,8Mb to 1,3Mb with acceptable quality. Size of compressed document with Aspose.PDF was around 3.8Mb. Quality was comparable.

Web optimizer can be found over https://www.pdf-online.com/osa/optimize.aspx

Hi Oliver,

Thanks for sharing the details.

The information has been associated with earlier reported issue and the product team will surely consider it during the resolution of this problem. Please be patient and spare us little time.

Hi,

Thanks for your patience. Our product team has investigated the issue and enhanced optimization feature by adding two new properties in OptimizationOptions object, ResizeImages and MaxResolution. These properties will be available in upcoming release of Aspose.Pdf for .NET i.e. 16.12.0. We will notify you as soon as new release is published and gets available for download. With new release, you can optimize PDF document as following:

Aspose.Pdf.Document
document = new Aspose.Pdf.Document(“input.pdf”);<o:p></o:p>

Aspose.Pdf.Document.OptimizationOptions opts = new Aspose.Pdf.Document.OptimizationOptions();

opts.UnembedFonts = true;

opts.LinkDuplcateStreams = true;

opts.RemoveUnusedObjects = true;

opts.RemoveUnusedStreams = true;

opts.UnembedFonts = true;

opts.CompressImages = true;

opts.ResizeImages = true;

opts.ImageQuality = 50;

opts.MaxResoultion = 150;

document.OptimizeResources(opts);

document.Save(myDir + "optimized.pdf");

Best Regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as PDFNEWNET-37901) have been fixed in Aspose.Pdf for .NET 16.12.0.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.