Outlook shows 'Cannot read the item' reading MSG (from MapiMessage)

Scenario: I open EML message in with MailMessage class. EML message contains winmail.dat MIME part. I need to work with some MAPI properties, so I read MapiMessage from MailMessage. Then I save message to MSG format usin MapiMessage object.

Issue: Outlook cannot open generated MSG file: "Cannot read the item" error message appears. When I change extension to ".eml", Outlook will open it, but will display "winmail.dat" attachment instead of image (see original message attached).

I know that I can save message to MSG format using MailMessage class, but I work with MapiMessage object and need to use it for saving.

Code:

using (var mail = MailMessage.Load(File.OpenRead("sample.eml"), new EmlLoadOptions ()))
{
using (MapiMessage mapi = MapiMessage.FromMailMessage(mail))
{
//..........
mapi.Save(@"resaved.msg");
}
}

Hi Alex,

Thank you for posting your inquiry.

Could you please share with us if you have tested the issue with Aspose.Email API’s latest version i.e. 5.9.0? We have tested this issue at our end using this latest version and the output MSG file opens fine in MS Outlook. Please try it at your end and share your feedback with us.

Cannot replicate myself.

Sorry, probably it was some Outlook issue, which went away after reboot.

Will check on other EMLs in case I attached the wrong sample file. Will report if replicate the issue.

Thanks,
Alex Shloma

Hi Alex,

Thank you for the feedback and please feel free to write us back if you have any other query related to Aspose.Email.