Page not showing up in ePub

I’m currently evaluating this api.

There’s one page that doesn’t show at all in ePub. It’s the second page, with the dedication.

Also, I added a cover page which shows fine in pdf and epub but in html is overlapping the first page.

I’ve attached the original word doc, and the 3 output formats.

Also, how do I insert a section break within word after a table. I don’t seem to be able to do that. Any tips on that?

thanks.

Hi Ursula,

Thanks for your inquiry.

I'm afraid I cannnot reproduce your first issue using the template you provided. Please note it appears the template in the zip you provided is an old version as it does not match the content in the output files (there is no background image on the first page).

Regarding the second issue with section breaks after tables, could you please clarify the issue you are having with an example template? You should beable to insert a section break in the paragraph after a table.

Thanks,

Hi Adam,

Sorry, I was inserting a cover too.

I’ve attached the cover, the doc, the output formats and the code.
There’s a lot of comments and used code in the vb file since I have been trying different options, just ignore all those.

Hi Ursula,

Thanks for your inquiry.

I managed to reproduce the issue on my side. Your request has been linked to the appropriate issue. We will inform you as soon as it's resolved. This is most likely happening because the table on the second page is converted to image.

Regarding the second page disappearing, I was unable to reproduce that issue. Could you please attach your generated document which you convert to HTML here and I will try again.

Thanks,

Hi Adam,

The dissapearing dedication page happens in the epub version.

thanks.

Hi Ursula,

Thanks for this additional information. Sorry I missed that it only occurs in EPUB. I managed to reproduce the issue on my side. From what I can see it looks like the same issue as before but happening in EPUB. If you unzip the EPUB and take a look at the internal HTML file you will see that dedication page does appear in the HTML.

It's hard to say exactly why this is happening and provide any work around at this time I'm afraid.

Thanks,

We have about 35 books already in word that need to be personalized on the fly into pdf, epub and html.
We are just basically having problems with those 4 first pages.

Is there a special reason why those pages would not work? is it the word document itself?
Is there any special tricks when dealing with tables, text boxes and images?

We can’t buy the product until we are sure is going to work for what we want to do.

thanks.

Hi Ursula,

Thanks for this additional information.

I understand where you are coming from, I will do a few tests later on and see if I can find a suitable way to refactor your document so these issues do not occur. Please note that there is no garentee that there is such a work around at the moment, you may need to wait for the original fix.

Thanks,

Hi Ursula,

Thanks for waiting.

I have refactored your document so it looks as expected in all formats now. You can find the modified template attached to this post.

The main issue which was causing the overlapping and incorrect layout was due to the tables and most images being floating. While there have been improvements in exporting floating content to HTML, it is not perfect.

To fix your other templates you will need to follow these steps:

1. Make all images and tables inline and left aligned. This should be done for images inside tables as well. Please see the screenshots below. This also includes the cover image that you insert programmatically. To make this inline you should not set the any horizontal or vertical positioning.

2. For the content to appear correctly after the above step you will need to decrease page margins to 0pt. This is so the images and tables which take up the whole page will appear correctly. You can choose to do this just for the first few pages (place them in a separate section so the page margins only affect those pages), or you can do this for all sections. You will find that the tables in the main body will move outside the left of the page, to fix this you need to set "Indent from left" setting (see screenshot above) as zero.

3. Turn next page section breaks into continious section breaks - this avoids empty pages in EPUB format.

If I can help you with anything else, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

Hi Adam,

Thank you very much for the information.
I tried it in the emulators and it looks great, but if I put the epub in my ipad, I only see the book cover, none of the other pages show up. Any idea? Did you try putting the file into an actual device?

thank you,

Ursula.

Hi Ursula,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Which reader are you using on iPad which causes this problem? Have you tried with any other reader to see if the same problem occurs with them as well?

I will attempt to reproduce the issue on my side and take a further look into this.

Thanks,

Hi Adam,

I tried with the ipad only. I wanted to try with my sony reader but it’s not loading in my computer right now so I couldn’t try it.

thanks.

Hi Ursla,

Thanks for the additional information, but could you please clarify which reader on the iPad you used for testing?

Thanks,

oh sorry. I tried in ibooks only.

Hi Ursula,

Thanks for this additional information. I managed to reproduce the issue on my side. I will do some testing and get back to you within the next couple of days.

Thanks,

Hi Ursula,

Thanks for waiting.

I have done some tests on your document, and it turns out that the problem is due to iBooks not supporting images within tables. Such images are not displayed at all. In your document right now you have your content inside a textbox which is inside a table. When exporting to HTML based formats Aspose.Words exports shapes (the textbox in this case) as an image. This means the textbox is exported as an image but due to the limitation of iBooks such images inside the tables are not displayed which produces the blank output on the latter pages.

The fix for this is to either remove the tables or the textboxes or both all together from the document. Both fixes will work, however you will need to test each technique as the apperance produced by each can make the document appear differently on the viewer. Using tables will fit all content tighter (make the content fit to the viewer window) where as textboxes as described above will be exported as an image which means text cannot be copied. Removing both tables and textboxes all together will export text which is selectable and fits more fully to the screen of the viewer.

There is however a slight problem with one of the current elements in your document. The black bar with vertical text is not compatitable with the above limitation and also with a limitation of most EPUB readers. Most EPUB readers do not properly display vertical text. In your previous documents this bar and text was a textbox and was exported as an image, which gave the correct vertical apperance of the text.

However since such images can't be displayed in a table they instead must be placed in the document body. Such floating content is interpreted as separate by the reader and shown apart from the text. This is obviously not the preferred output. I'm afraid my only suggestion to avoid this is to refactor this part, for example so it appears horizontally down the bottom of the page.

I have attached the refactored template which is displaying properly on my side (excluding the black bar). If you have any further queries, please feel free to ask.

Thanks,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-4823) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.