Paid License File does not work


The trial license file works just fine, but the paid license file does not work. The isLicensed function returns false for the paid license file and evaluation restrictions are in place. You can get my license file from order 180322121303. I’m using “Aspose.Pdf for Android via Java 17.12”

Sample code here;

  File oPath = new File(Environment.getExternalStorageDirectory(), "Documents");
  File oPdfLic = new File(oPath, "aspose_pdf2.lic");

  FileInputStream oStream = new FileInputStream(oPdfLic.getAbsolutePath());
  License oLicense = new License();

  boolean bRet = com.aspose.pdf.Document.isLicensed();
  log("debug", "isLicensed: " + bRet); // false



Thanks for contacting support.

We would really appreciate if you can please share your license file with us in a private message. We will test the scenario in our environment and address it accordingly. You may please send a private message by clicking on username private-message.png (12.7 KB).


I’ve sent a PM.



Thanks for sharing the license file.

We have checked the license file and noticed that following root tag was missing in the license file, due to which API was unable to recognize it as valid license file.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

After adding above line in the license file, the licensed worked fine and generated a valid PDF document. We have also share the modified license file with you in private message. Please try again using shared license file and in case you still face any issue, please feel free to let us know.


That didn’t seem to help. I am seeing this warning in the debug output;

W/System.err: class The license is not valid for this product.

Again, I’m using “Aspose.Pdf for Android via Java 17.12”



Thanks for writing back.

We have again tested the scenario and observed that the issue occurred when we restarted android application - instead of using “Apply Changes” option while application was running. However, we will further investigate this issue and share our feedback with you as soon as possible. Please spare us little time.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.


Sure, it is possible that apply changes was using an old license and that restarting the app forces it to use the new license. I can’t get it to work at all. I’ve fully uninstalled the app, rebooted the device, and rebuilt the project. Nothing seems to help. I can switch back in the trial license file and it will work just fine.



Thanks for writing back.

We have logged an issue as PDFANDROID-510 in our issue tracking system, for further investigation. We will further look into details of the issue and keep you posted with the status of its correction. We greatly appreciate your patience and comprehension in this regard. Please spare us little time.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.


Seems like the license file is just bad, can you generate a new one that will work for me?



Thanks for contacting support.

We are investigating the issue with your license file in our environment and will definitely let you know about the progress of investigation as soon as we make some. Please spare us little time.

We are sorry for the inconvenience.



Thanks for your patience.

We have sent email to the address, which was used to purchase the license subscription. Please find new license file in the email and test it in your environment. In case you still face any issue, please let us know.


The new license file works. Thanks for addressing this issue.



Thanks for your kind feedback.

It is good to know that your problem has been resolved. Please keep using our API and in case of any further assistance, please feel free to let us know by creating a new topic in our forums.


The issues you have found earlier (filed as PDFANDROID-510) have been fixed in Aspose.PDF for Android via Java 18.6.