PDF as Template

I am trying to use .Net version of Aspose PDF and PDF.Kit to use a PDF as a template, modify that template, and save as a new PDF in a stream.

My end result is to open a PDF (my template) that has several Form Fields in it, remove all the content except the fields, and the save the manipulated PDF into a stream. Is there any way to do this? I have been fighting with the API for a few days now.

Basically, I just want to print the marks from checkboxes and radio buttons onto a sticker that already has the content.

Thanks for any tips,
Johnny

Hi Johnny,

I’m afraid, I couldn’t understand your requirement very clearly. Can you please help me understand it with the help of a sample PDF along with some elaboration? It will help me understand what kind of contents you want to remove and what other you want to retain in the PDF file.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience and looking forward to help you out.
Regards,

I have attached two files.
TestTemplate.pdf is an example of an original file I am working with; I need to read this file as a stream, manipulate it, and save it.

TestOutput.pdf is an example of how I need to manipulate the original file.
- All the content is removed except the fields.
- The fields styles are manipulated to only leave the values; no borders.

I hope that helps,
Johnny

Hi Johnny,

I’m afraid, you didn’t mention which version you’re using (.NET or Java). Please share this information with us so we could move forward.

Regards,

I am using .Net

Hi Johnny,

I’m sorry to inform you that this feature is currently not supported, however I have logged a new feature request as PDFKITNET-15379 in our issue tracking system. Our team will look into this issue and you’ll be updated via this forum thread once this functionality is available in our future versions.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience.
Regards,

Hi Johnny,

Our team has made some progress regarding your requirement; please see the attached output PDF file. However, in order to move forward we need your feedback.

Can you please share whether this output satisfies your requirement? If not, do you also want the borders of the controls to be removed as well (which practically means to redraw these controls)? If so, can you please elaborate why do you want to do this? If you could give a little background of this requirement, that can be helpful as well. Do you also want to keep the current values of the fields as well or there is some other idea in your mind?

Please share your thoughts in detail with us, so we could move forward on this issue.
Regards,

Thanks,

The borders would need to have the ability to be removed and the fields would need to be set to read only (which I forgot to add to my previous example). The current values do not need to remain because I am currently programmatically populating the fields.

The reason why I want to do this is because we are creating a PDF that is just the text to be printed on a sticker. The current work-flow is the following:

1. Client buys stock paper (sticker) which another program prints content onto.
  2. Client switches to our system; now our software needs to print on the stock sticker.
  3. We make a PDF out of their sticker.
  4. The program allows them to edit the fields while viewing the PDF Form of the sticker.
  5. We save the values into our database.
  6. Client wants to print onto the sticker.
  7. The program generates a new PDF from the original PDF.
  8. Fields are populated from our database.
  9. The program then removes all the borders, lables, etc., and makes it read only so only the content that needs to be printed is shown in the PDF.
  10. The client downloads this PDF and prints it onto their sticker.

Hi Johnny,

Thank you very much for sharing the details. I have updated our development team with the information. We’ll further investigate your requirement and you’ll be updated accordingly.

We appreciate your cooperation.
Regards,