PDFInfo needs to be plaintext

All day long, I have been producing PDFs by filling a PDF form and merging PDFs, optimizing size, etc, and I can search for “Keywords” in the document in notepad and find and read it. Now I changed something and that section has been compressed into an unreadable binary mess. How can I keep the Author, Keywords, etc fields above the FlateDecode section?

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for for contacting support.

It looks like you are trying to alter PDF files contents in notepad and I am not certain if its permissible to make changes in PDF file contents by viewing them in Notepad. Furthermore, the requirement to keep Author, Keywords, etc fields above the FlateDecode section, I have contacted the development team to acknowledge, if we can fulfill this requirement or not.

Actually, I am not trying to alter them in Notepad. There is another unrelated app that has been able to read our PDFs in plaintext to determine that a certain value is there to confirm that the form was filled, without any knowledge of PDF structure. When I first started testing, those fields were above the FlateDecode, but I made some change apparently, and now, for the life of me, I cannot recreate such a PDF.

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for sharing the details.

As per my understanding, you need to read PDF file information i.e. Keywords, Author, Title, Subject etc. Instead of parsing the file through another third party application, you can try using Aspose.Pdf for .NET to get/set similar information. For further details, please visit

PS, concerning to the file which has been corrupted (once you have made some changes), I am afraid Aspose.Pdf for .NET might not be able to recover that file. We are sorry for your inconvenience.

Thanks, but I’d rather not have to re-do these other apps to deal with the output of this app. If that is the final answer, and no one knows the settings that caused Apsose.PDF for .Net to insert the file information above the compression, then I may have no other choice. I will wait a bit before I add additional cost to this project by adding increased development time.

Hi Joseph,

I am already in coordination with development team to get some information regarding the placement of information above the compression (if its being placed by design or it can be placed at some other location). As soon as I have some further updates, I will let you know.

Hi Joseph,

As per PDF specifications, “metadata is intended to assist in cataloguing and searching for documents in external databases” therefore metadata must retain open. However, in order to understand your problem, we need the resource PDF files and the code snippet/steps which you are performing.

Trying to upload the file, but Add/Update is not working. I have more trouble with this support website. Here is the code:

Dim license As Aspose.Pdf.License = New Aspose.Pdf.License

license.SetLicense(“Aspose.Pdf.txt”)

Dim pdftest As New Aspose.Pdf.Document(“C:\temp\SmartForm_CMS1500_02_12_TRIAL.pdf”)

Dim docInfo As New DocumentInfo(pdftest)

docInfo.Author = “Unified Health Services, LLC”

docInfo.Title = “Invoice”

docInfo.CreationDate = DateTime.Now

docInfo.Keywords = “This is a searchable word: Kangaroo”

docInfo.ModDate = DateTime.Now

docInfo.Subject = “Australian Fauna”

pdftest.Save(“C:\temp\PDFWithInfo.pdf”)

Hi Joseph,

Thanks for sharing the code snippet and resource file.

I have logged this problem in our issue tracking system as PDFNEWNET-36951. We
will investigate this issue in details and will keep you updated on the status
of a correction. <o:p></o:p>

We apologize for your inconvenience.