Performance of converting word to pdf

Hi, we are using Aspose.Words 13.10.0.0

Below is my code snippet:

if (extension.ToLower().Equals(".doc") || extension.ToLower().Equals(".docx"))
{
var doc = new AsposeWords.Document(inputFilePath);
doc.Save(“c:\abc.pdf”);
}

I noticed that Aspose converts the word documents to text searchable pdf, which is good. However, I am wondering whether you can convert it to image-only pdf for performance reason. Specifically, I would like to know:
  • Does it run faster to convert word to image only pdf? if yes, how much in general? (10%, 20% or so)
  • The resulting pdf file size, how much is image only pdf smaller than text searchabel pdf?
  • Do you happen to know other office documents? Excel to pdf, msg to pdf, powerpoint to pdf?

Thanks a lot.

Hi there,

Thanks for your inquiry.

Xu Xu:

Does it run faster to convert word to image only pdf? if yes, how much in general? (10%, 20% or so)
The resulting pdf file size, how much is image only pdf smaller than text searchabel pdf?

Please note that Aspose.Words mimics the same behavior as MS Word does. Aspose.Words does not convert the MS Word document to image only Pdf. However, you can save each page of MS Word document to Image by using following code example. If you want to convert images to Pdf, you can use the code suggested in the following article to be able to convert images to PDF format:
http://www.aspose.com/docs/display/wordsnet/How+to+Convert+an+Image+to+PDF

Document doc = new
Document(MyDir + “Rendering.doc”);

ImageSaveOptions options = new ImageSaveOptions(SaveFormat.Png);

options.Resolution = 300;

options.PageCount = 1;

options.PageIndex = 0;

doc.Save(MyDir + "Rendering.SaveToImageResolution Out.png", options);

<!–[if gte mso 9]>
<w:WordDocument>
<w:View>Normal</w:View>
<w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom>
<w:TrackMoves/>
<w:TrackFormatting/>
<w:PunctuationKerning/>
<w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/>
<w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>
<w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent>
<w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>
<w:DoNotPromoteQF/>
<w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther>
<w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian>
<w:LidThemeComplexScript>AR-SA</w:LidThemeComplexScript>
<w:Compatibility>
<w:BreakWrappedTables/>
<w:SnapToGridInCell/>
<w:WrapTextWithPunct/>
<w:UseAsianBreakRules/>
<w:DontGrowAutofit/>
<w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/>
<w:EnableOpenTypeKerning/>
<w:DontFlipMirrorIndents/>
<w:OverrideTableStyleHps/>
</w:Compatibility>
<m:mathPr>
<m:mathFont m:val=“Cambria Math”/>
<m:brkBin m:val=“before”/>
<m:brkBinSub m:val=“–”/>
<m:smallFrac m:val=“off”/>
<m:dispDef/>
<m:lMargin m:val=“0”/>
<m:rMargin m:val=“0”/>
<m:defJc m:val=“centerGroup”/>
<m:wrapIndent m:val=“1440”/>
<m:intLim m:val=“subSup”/>
<m:naryLim m:val=“undOvr”/>
</m:mathPr></w:WordDocument>
<![endif]–><!–[if gte mso 10]>

/* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

<![endif]–>Aspose.Words
provides one of the highest fidelity Word document to PDF conversion
around. Many document features are exported to PDF exactly as how they
appear in the original document.

Any
document loaded into Aspose.Words can be converted to PDF that conforms
to the PDF 1.5 or PDF/A-1b specification. Support for PDF/A-1a
specification is planned. The WMF Raster operations is not supported at
the moment in Aspose.Words.

Hi there,

Thank you for using Aspose products.

Xu Xu:
  • Do you happen to know other office documents? Excel to pdf, msg to pdf, powerpoint to pdf?

I would like to address your concerns in perspective of Aspose.Cells for .NET component. Aspose.Cells deals with all spreadsheet formats, and supports the conversion of all MS Excel file formats to PDF while maintaining high visual fidelity. Please note, the resultant PDF files will be text searchable because Aspose.Cells follows MS Excel guidelines in its implementation. Please check the below linked technical article on this subject and feel free to write back in case you face any difficulties.
http://www.aspose.com/docs/display/cellsnet/Converting+Excel+to+PDF+Files

Hi Xu,

For MSG to PDF conversion, you can use Aspose.Email for .NET in combination with Aspose.Words for .NET. You can have a look at our documentation article, Saving a MSG as PDF, for further details. Please let us know if we can be of any additional help to you in this regard.

Hi,

I like to share that Aspose.Slide for .NET also mimic the same behavior as MS PowerPoint for generating PDF for presentation and generate the presentation that is text searchable. For reference, please visit this <a temp_href=“Hi Vimal, I have re-verified the issue using Aspose.Slides for Java 8.0.0 as well and have found it resolved as per description added in our issue tracking system. The issue shared by you in the very first post of this thread stated that the images are getting garbled when the presentation is splitted in to individual presentation slides and then combining them back again by applying the master potx file. The issue has been resolved in Aspose.Slides for Java to avoid the skewing/garbling of images when applying the template on the slides during merging. We in fact resolved this issue in SLIDESJAVA-34092. For your kind reference, I have shared the Feedback.rar. Please observe the “PPT1_Combined_issue.pptx”, that is actual problem that was arising when merging the splitted slides by applying master. After using Aspose.Slides for Java 7.9.0 and 8.0.0 the combined presentations that have been achieved are “PPT1_Combined_7.9_2.pptx” and “PPT1_Combined_8.0.pptx” respectively. You can observe that the images are no more skewed or garbled in combined presentations using the specified API versions. I have also shared the sample code used for your kind reference as well. Please observe the shared data and use the attached sample code. If there is still an issue then you are always welcome and we will try our best to address that as well. Please also share if you are getting some other issue in same presentation or same issue in some other presentation. Please provide us the complete details about the issue so that we are on same page while addressing the issue. If possible share the issue in the form of snapshot with us. Many Thanks,” href=“Hi Vimal, I have re-verified the issue using Aspose.Slides for Java 8.0.0 as well and have found it resolved as per description added in our issue tracking system. The issue shared by you in the very first post of this thread stated that the images are getting garbled when the presentation is splitted in to individual presentation slides and then combining them back again by applying the master potx file. The issue has been resolved in Aspose.Slides for Java to avoid the skewing/garbling of images when applying the template on the slides during merging. We in fact resolved this issue in SLIDESJAVA-34092. For your kind reference, I have shared the Feedback.rar. Please observe the “PPT1_Combined_issue.pptx”, that is actual problem that was arising when merging the splitted slides by applying master. After using Aspose.Slides for Java 7.9.0 and 8.0.0 the combined presentations that have been achieved are “PPT1_Combined_7.9_2.pptx” and “PPT1_Combined_8.0.pptx” respectively. You can observe that the images are no more skewed or garbled in combined presentations using the specified API versions. I have also shared the sample code used for your kind reference as well. Please observe the shared data and use the attached sample code. If there is still an issue then you are always welcome and we will try our best to address that as well. Please also share if you are getting some other issue in same presentation or same issue in some other presentation. Please provide us the complete details about the issue so that we are on same page while addressing the issue. If possible share the issue in the form of snapshot with us. Many Thanks,”>documentation link for your kind reference. However, I like to add here that Aspose.Slides offers you to generate the image of slide that indirectly serves your purpose. In generated slide thumbnail there is nothing searchable and it serves the purpose for you. Please visit this documentation link for your kind reference to see how to generate slide thumbnails.

Please share, if I may help you further in this regard.

Many Thanks,

Thanks guys.