Please advise

Currently I am in the process of building a windows application that somehow or the other will be driven by a relatively complex excel spreadsheet, one that probably uses every excel formula in the book. I know Aspose’s excel control does not support all of them; however, I’m wondering is there any way around this limitation, perhaps by adding the missing function class at runtime? Currently I am evaluating Farpoint’s spreadsheet control, and although it allows me to add custom functions at runtime, you must do so AFTER you load the source excel spreadsheet file. However, when you load an excel file that has custom functions, the control wipes them out, which means that all of the work acheived at design time via the excel editor is lost and can only be recuperated by programmatically setting the formulas to their respective cells, the number of which can easily range in the hundreds.

Can your component help me in any way? The client I am currently building this application for is IndyMac bank (www.indymacbank.com).

Thanks

Giancarlo

Dear Giancarlo,

Thanks for your consideration. Aspose.Excel can fully support your need. Though currently Aspose.Excel does not support all functions using API, it supports all in your designer file. You can do as you wish at your design time using MS Excel. Aspose.Excel will import all of them. That will greatly simplify your program.

You can download our demo and have a try. Just a few lines of code:

Excel excel = new Excel();

string designSpreadSheet = “d:\MyDesignFile.xls”;

excel.Open(designSpreadSheet);

excel.Save(“d:\book1.xls”, FileFormatType.Default);

First and foremost, thanks for your response. However, I’m still in doubt, probably because my original question is somewhat confusing.

With aspose’s product, is it possible for me to add custom functions, that is, native excel functions not currently supported by the product, at run time, load an excel file that makes use of these functions, and have the spreadsheet work properly without loosing any of the excel design time work, especially in terms of formulas. You see my objective is to have the business create the excel file, obviously using Excel, and the application will simply host the excel file, adding any non supported functions to the spreadsheet control (I don’t know which one yet) yet at the same time not loose any of the design time work. I would hate to have to keep track of which cells use the custom functions and then set each cell’s formula property, since the excel file in question is incredibly complex in terms of the financial analysis it performs. I’m looking to do something like:

excel.addfunction(new customFunction1())
excel.addfunction(new customFunction2())

And huala!!! All cells that have customFunction1 or customFunction2 embedded within their formula work properly!!! I would to hate to do something like:

excel.addfunction(new customFunction1())
excel.addfunction(new customFunction2())
for each cell that has customfunction1 or customfunction2 embedded within formula
cell.formula = customfunction1
next

You get the idea, don’t you.

Please advise. If you want more information regarding this client, which will in the end purchase your product, please go to www.indymacbank.com

Thanks

Giancarlo

Dear Giancarlo,

Let me elaborate my understanding.

1. You need to import many different excel files created on business.
2. Those file contains many different formulas.
3. You found or guess that some functions in these formulas are not supported in Aspose.Excel because you referred to Cell.Formula api reference and found not all excel functions are supported.
4. You try to make it work at run time by several lines of code.

Am I right?

If so, you don’t have to write code. Because Aspose.Excel can import all kinds of formulas with all native MS Excel functions in your designer file created manually in MS Excel.

If some functions not supported in Cell.Formula api reference cannot be set at design time and you want to set at run time, please let me know. I will add them in Aspose.Excel ASAP.

If I still misunderstood you, please let me know.

Thanks