Poor PDF conversion quality

I am evaluating the Aspose.Words (Java) product. When running the com.aspose.words.examples.rendering_printing.EmbedFontsInAdobePDF example even with the option options.setEmbedFullFonts(true) I am seeing very poor conversion quality. It looks like the product is picking a completely different font that is nothing like the original font. In particular the formatting of the bold words are nothing like the formatting in the source document. This completely messes up the PDF as it is causes all the text to shift wildly. This also messes up the amount of text that displays on a page so one page becomes two pages or text flows onto the next page.

I tried installing the font (Garamond) on my Mac before running the conversion and the conversion still looks terrible. Is there something else I need to do? If the document displays properly in MS Word that suggests to me the font is embedded in the word document if it is not installed on the machine.

• Couldn’t the conversion extract the font from the MS Word document and embed the font into the PDF?
  • If I have the font installed on my machine shouldn’t the conversion use that same font in the PDF output?
  • Is there something I can adjust to get output quality that is much closer to what the input looks like?

Source Word doc: Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life
Output file: Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life

@jameswennmacher,

Thanks for your inquiry. Please note that Aspose.Words requires TrueType fonts when rendering documents to fixed-page formats (JPEG, PNG, PDF or XPS). Please make sure that you have installed all fonts that are used in your document on the machine where you’re converting documents to Pdf. Please refer to the following article.

How Aspose.Words Uses True Type Fonts

We have tested the scenario using latest version of Aspose.Words for Java 17.8 and have not found the shared issue. If you embed all fonts in output PDF, the file size will be around 25 MB. Please check the attached screenshot of output PDF. output.png (132.0 KB)