Free Support Forum - aspose.com

PPT/PPTX to PDF does not work in remote environment (slides 2.9.5)

Hey Aspose Team,

I'm stuck on this problem because I don't know whats going wrong in slides, I'm in need of your help.

I have a local environment Windows/WebSphere 7.0 where everything works fine. On my remote Environment AIX/WebSphere 7.0 I have to set the java endorsed folder to the JAI components because I'm not allowed to modify the WAS JRE. This works for TIF etc.. I'm not sure if there is a connection between JAI and PPT/PPTX conversion. The stacktrace I get is as follows:

com.aspose.slides.PptException: com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.bri: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.css.do(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.pptx.PresentationEx.save(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.pptx.PresentationEx.save(Unknown Source)
Caused by: com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.bri: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.bot.(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.bqj.(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.bot.do(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.bpy.do(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.bqf.do(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.bpn.do(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.bpw.do(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.bmj.do(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.bmf.do(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.blw.do(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.bmf.do(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.bmu.do(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.bpw.do(Unknown Source)
... 52 more
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.brv.this(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.brv.for(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.brv.do(Unknown Source)
at com.aspose.slides.obfuscated.brv.if(Unknown Source)
... 65 more

I call it with:

Presentation pptPresentation = new Presentation(source);
pptPresentation.save(target, SaveFormat.PDF);

for ppt and for pptx with:

PresentationEx pptxPresentation = new PresentationEx(source);
pptxPresentation.save(target, SaveFormat.PDF);

As mentioned above, I only get this in the remote environment, it does work in local testing. The ppt/pptx I'm using is attached. I don't have much time left to go into acceptance test :/

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for inquiring Aspose.Slides.

I have tried to understand the issue shared by you but have not been able to completely understand that. Can you please share the details of remote environment where you are getting the issue. However, in response to your question related to dependence of Aspose.Slides on JAI libraries, I like to share that Aspose.Slides depends upon JAI library for rendering presentations. Please visit this documentation link for Aspose.Slides for Java system requirements and I am hopeful this will help you. You can configure the environment on your end if you are ignoring the JAI dependence so far.

Many Thanks,

Hello Mudassir,

thank you for your reply.

The remote environment is an IBM WebSphere Application Server 7.0 running an IBM Java Runtime. I'm -not- allowed to install the JAI components as described in your link in that IBM Java Runtime of the WebSphere Application Server 7.0.

So I'm using the Java Virtual Machine property "-Djava.endorsed.dirs" to set an endorsed path to a folder containing those JAI jar's. This endorsed folder is loaded before the IBM Java Runtime gets loaded, means I have those JAI classes in my classpath on top hierarchy.

This works fine for processing TIF's etc.. where I need JAI, but unfortunately there seems to be an issue with JAI and Aspose.Slides when those JAI libraries are loaded using the endorsed option.

Kind regards

Peter

Hi Peter,

I have discussed the issue with our development team and they have suggested that you may try using Aspose.Slides for Java 2.9.6 on your end. If there is still an issue then please provide the complete stack information along with complete environment details and sample presentation with us. We will try investigating issue on our end as well. But, it does not seem to be an issue with Aspose.Slides as it is working for you in your local environment. There is some environment setting issue on your end that seems to be cause of the issue.

Many Thanks,

Hey Mudassir,

thank you for your reply. Aspose Slides 2.9.6 unfortunately didn't solve the issue.

You can find the stack traces and environment details attached. The sample presentations are in my first message on this topic.

I hope you can help. Thank you in advance!

Kind regards

Peter

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the information shared. I have observed the stack trace shared by you and an issue with ID SLIDESJAVA-33498 has been created in our issue tracking system to further investigate and resolve the issue shared. I will request further information from you if our development team will request for that.

We are sorry for your inconvenience,

Any progress on this? I have the same problem in a tomcat environment.

Any update? I have the same problem under tomcat.

Hi Kurt,

Can you please share the details about the issue along with complete environment details that you are having on your end and that is causing issue. Please also share the complete stack trace, source presentations and sample code that we may use to reproduce the issue on our end. Please also also try using latest version of Aspose.Slides for Java 2.9.6 on your end and share the information related to JAI libraries and other jar files used on your end in case the issue is not resolved using latest version of Aspose.Slides for Java.

Many Thanks,

Is there a possible workaround for now? like converting from PPT/X to XXX then to PDF?

Thanks in advance!

Hi Peter,

I regret to share that currently I am unable to share any workaround presently. However, our development team has scheduled the issue for week 42 of 2012. We will share the further information with you as soon as it will be shared by our development team.

Many Thanks,

Hello Mudassir,

I'm sorry to ask but the the project management wants me to.. do you have any update to SLIDESJAVA-33498? Can I look these ID's up by myself in your tracking system? We are going on production soon and could really use Slides working in our remote environment in week 42.

Thank you in advance!

Kind regards
Peter

Hi Peter,

You are always welcome but I regret to share that you cannot have access to our issue tracking system as it is something internal. I may like to add that since issue has been scheduled for Week 42, so I will be able to share the updates with you as soon as they will be shared by our development team.

Many Thanks,

Hi Mudassir,

thank you for your message.

It would be very kind of you if you could supply an update on this issue, thank you!

Kind regards
Peter

Hi Peter,

I have verified from our issue tracking system and like to share that issue is still under investigation and it is in this week schedule. I will share the further information with you as soon as it will be shared by our development team,

Many Thanks,

Hi Peter,

Our development team has observed the issue shared an it seems that issue is related with fonts. Can you please also try presentation without embedded fonts (Aspose.Slides doesn’t support embedded fonts) and with some widespread fonts (Arial, Courier New)? Please share your feedback with us by working over the presentation with specified fonts.

Please also try using our latest available product version Aspose.Slides for Java 3.0.0. I will really appreciate your feedback in this regard.

Many Thanks,