PPT to PDF conversion in Solaris Environment

Hi,

I'm using the Aspose for PPT to PDF conversion. I'm using the following code for converting the ppt to pdf . It is working fine at Windows environment. When i test it in Solaris environment , getting the Null pointer Exception.

Presentation pptPresentation = new Presentation(pptFilePath);
pptPresentation.save(pdfFilePath, com.aspose.slides.export.SaveFormat.PDF);

Regards,

Dheeraj

Dear Dheeraj,

I feel sorry to inform you that I am unable to understand the issue completely. Can you please share further information about which JDK version you are using along with Aspose.Slides for Java version that you are using. Please also share that whether you are experiencing problem with every presentation in Solaris environment or with only a particular presentation. Please also share the problematic presentation for further investigation.

Thanks and Regards,

Hi,

I'm using the aspose.slides_2.3.0_20100710.jar . JDK version is 1.5 and Environment is Solaris.

The below mentioned code is working fine at Windows Environment. When i run it the same code at Solaris environment, getting the Null Pointer Exception.

Presentation pptPresentation = new Presentation("c:\\test.ppt");
pptPresentation.save("c:\\test.pdf", com.aspose.slides.export.SaveFormat.PDF);

Getti ng exception for all PPT's.

Regards,

Dheeraj

Dear Dheeraj,

Thanks for sharing added piece of information. I have added the issue in our issue with ID 19378 in our issue tracking system for further verification and resolution by our development team. This thread has also been linked with the issue, so that you may be automatically notified, once the issue is resolved.

We are sorry for your inconvenience,

Presentation ppt=new Presentation("c:\\test.ppt");

ppt.save("c:\\test.pdf",com.aspose.slides.export.SaveFormat.PDF);

This piece of code is giving me null pointer exception in windows environment. How to fix this one? very urgent.

Thanks

Van

Dear Van,

The code snippet that you have shared is fine. There may be some issue with the presentation and for that an issue is already created in our issue tracking system. As soon as issue is resolved, I will be happy to share the information with you.

Thanks and Regards,

looks like others are ab;e to run this one in windoews environment. is it correct?

Dear Van,

Yes, you are right in making your point that same code snippet is working in Windows environment but failing to execute in Solaris environment. The issue might be with Aspose.Slides for Java and our development team will investigate and resolve.

Thanks and Regards,

Hi

Its failing to execute in windows environment too for me. I am using jdk version 1.6.

Dear Van,

Can you please share the source presentation file so that I may verify and reproduce the issue on our end. The code snippet that you have shared is fine and all we need to investigate is the presentation it self. I appreciate your cooperation in advance.

Thanks and Regards,

Please find the attached ppt

Hello Dear,

I have tried to access the shared presentation and have been successfully able to export the presentation to PDF file. For your kind reference, I have attached the generated PDF. I have used Aspose.Slides for Java 2.3.0 and JDK 1.6.0_21.

Thanks and Regards,

Hi Mudassir,

I want to know the status about this issue( PPT to PDF conversion in Solaris Environment). Client is waiting for this fix. Can you please send the status of this issue.

It's working fine at Windows and getting the problem in solaris environment. I got the same issue for other types xls and doc conversion ,after setting the fonts dir,both are working fine in solaris environmanet.

Please let me know, how to set the fonts in PPT. If we sets the fonts, i think issue will be resolved. i didn't find the any method in PPT for setting the fonts.

waiting for your response.

Thanks,

Dheeraj

Dear Dheeraj,

Thanks for sharing added piece of information regarding fonts as this will be certainly helpful in quickly resolving the issue, once our development team will work on it. At the moment, unfortunately the issue is still not resolved.

We are sorry for your inconvenience,

Hi,

I have also opened a similiar issue.
It seems that conversion from ppt to PDF does not work in Linux.

This is critical as we are reaching a purchase decision whether to replace openoffice with Aspose.

When are we going to get an answer about compatibility in Linux ?

thanks

Dear Oded,

You will be pleased to know that issue related PPT to PDF conversion has already been created in our issue tracking system with issue ID 18483. This issue has been resolved and the fix will be available in upcoming release of Aspose.Slides for Java 2.4.0. This thread has also been linked with the issue, so that you may be automatically notified, once the issue is resolved.

Thanks and Regards,

Thanks Mudassir,

Does this mean that Aspose slides now converts to PDF without problems is Linux ?
Has this been tested ?
What about running with awt.headless (no X server ) is this supported as well ?

I’m sorry to keep bringing this up, but you must realize that the cross-platform compatibility is a key feature for choosing Aspose.

Hi Oded,

The issue related to PPT to PDF export in Linux has been resolved. When the fix to issue will be made available on line along with the product release then the customer feedback will be awaited. In case of any reported in the fix appropriate actions will be taken to resolve the problem. Secondly, you may execute Aspose.Slides for Java with awt.headless mode as well.

We always welcome questions and feedback from our worthy customers and take pride in resolving their issues. So, please feel free to share your ambiguities.

Thanks and Regards,

Hello,

I am an application leader from GE Healthcare, currently planning to purchase Aspose licenses and Priority Support Subscription..

Dheeraj (SEE ORIGINATOR OF THIS THREAD) is an application consultant working for us to design solutions for PDF file conversion using Aspose.

GE Healthcare has a need to convert PPT files to PDF.

Your thread response indicates the following:

".....issue ID 18483. This issue has been resolved and the fix will be available in upcoming release of Aspose.Slides for Java 2.4.0.."

Before we can consider purchasing Aspose, we need answers to the following:

1). When will release of Java 2.4.0 for Aspose.Slides be available?

2). How can this be escalated?
Since this is a critical feature for GE Healthcare, and ability to convert PPT files to PDF will make or break our decision to purchase Aspose products.

Please provide responses ASAP.

Thank you,

Dale Parkinson
Project Engineer/Agile PDM Architect
GE Healthcare
Healthcare Systems
Wauwatosa, WI 53226 USA

E dale.parkinson@med.ge.com

Cell: 262-424-8412

Hello Dale,

I have requested our development team to share the ETA of the new release of Aspose.Slides for Java 2.4.0. Actually, the product versions are generally released after a quarter and it is due to be released in next month. However, I have requested our development team to share the ETA of the new release. We may share an intermediate version of Aspose.Slides for Java that will contain the fix to your issue meanwhile as well. But before this I need to discuss with our development team. As soon as some response is shared by our development team, I will share that with you.

Thanks and Regards,