Problems getting merge fields for .docx files in version 8.2.1

We are having a problem where documents with a .docx extension will sometimes not return any mail merge fields but sometimes they do work.
We haven’t figured out the complete scenario however the general idea is.
We have a Silverlight front end that uploads the file to a server, the server saves the file and then converts it to binary format to store into the DB.
This seemed to work really relliably until recently the method:

GetChildNodes(NodeType.FieldStart, true, false)

stopped returning results on .docx files that we upload but .doc files work just fine ( I have even taken a .docx file and just literally changed the extension and it works ).
We are really confused here and we’ve even tried upgrading to 10.1.1 and the problem shows up there as well it appears.
Any ideas here would be greatly appreciated.

Hello
Thanks for your inquiry. Could you please attach the document you are getting problem with? I will check it on my side and provide you more information.
Best regards,

Here’s the documents we’re having problems with…something to note - if I literally copy this file to the same directory ( just literally do a control C and it will create Default - Copy.docx ) then that file seems to return merge fields consistently…
Thank you for your help in advance.
Dan

Hi Dan,
Thanks for this additional information.
I’m afraid I can’t reproduce the issue using the latest version of Aspose.Words. The count returned by the GetChildNodes method is 31 which matches the number of merge fields in the document.
Perhaps since you are using a new version, your license may not cover it. Due to this the evaluation limitations only part of the document is loaded which causes some fields to be missed.
Please try exporting a document as a test to see if the evaluation watermark appears on the output.
Thanks,