Query: Can Documents Metadata Properties be retained after converting a word document to PDF

Hi,

I am planning to use “Aspose.word” for SharePoint and have a scenario which would be decision making to purchase the license.
We have a document library where several word documents are saved along with metadata properties like this:

Document Name | Document Type | Stage | Keyword | Topic
ABC.docx Policy P1 First T1
DEF.docx Insurance I1 Medium T2

Now, after triggering the conversion we want the following:

Document Name | Document Type | Stage | Keyword | Topic
ABC.docx Policy P1 First T1
ABC.pdf Policy P1 First T1
DEF.docx Insurance I1 Medium T2
DEF.pdf Insurance I1 Medium T2

Please let me know if this can be achieved with no code customization conjunction with SharePoint 2013 Designer.

Thanks,
Sauhardra

Hi Sauhardra,

Thanks for your inquiry. The metadata info should be preserved in generated PDF files. Could you please attach your sample input Word documents and corresponding output PDF files with unexpected results here for testing. We will investigate the issue on our end and provide you more information.

Aspose.Words for SharePoint has two main features: document conversion and report generation. It integrates with SharePoint and provides a user interface for these features. You can use these features programmatically as well. But, Aspose.Words for SharePoint does not expose the whole document object module like Aspose.Words for .NET does. For example, the MailMerge feature is available in Aspose.Words for .NET; but you cannot use the MailMerge class via Aspose.Words for SharePoint.

So, in case you just want to open a document and save it to PDF in SharePoint library and nothing else, then you should choose ‘Aspose.Words for SharePoint’. On the other hand, if you want to take advantage of the whole Aspose.Words API then I would recommend you please go for ‘Aspose.Words for.NET’ API. And of-course, you can integrate Aspose.Words for .NET with SharePoint environment. For this, I would suggest you please go through the following blog post and video tutorial:
Using Aspose.Total for .NET with SharePoint for File Creation and Manipulation.

Best regards,