"File Not Found" error while converting doc with Aspose.Words for SharePoint

I just installed Aspose.Words for SharePoint v1.1 in order to evaluate it, but I get a “File Not Found” error whenever I try to convert a document.

I’m using Windows 2008 Server R2 x64 and MOSS 2007.

I noticed that the installer puts all the Aspose.Words assemblies in the GAC, and some of them are marked as being “x86” assemblies (i.e. 32-bit assemblies). For example, Aspose.Words.SharePoint.dll and Aspose.Words.SharePoint.Tracing are marked as x86.

In my case, I’m running a 64-bit OS, and .NET is looking for 64-bit versions of those assemblies, right? I suspect that when .NET can’t find x64 versions it throws a file not found exception.

Am I wrong about this? Is AsposeWords for SharePoint compatible with 64-bit?

Thanks,
John

P.S. Here’s the full error I’m getting. It occurs right after clicking “Convert via Aspose.Words” on a document:

File Not Found. at
System.Reflection.Assembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase,
Evidence assemblySecurity, Assembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark,
Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection)
at
System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence
assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean forIntrospection)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.InternalLoad(String assemblyString,
Evidence assemblySecurity, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, Boolean
forIntrospection)
at System.Reflection.Assembly.Load(String
assemblyString)
at
System.Web.Configuration.CompilationSection.LoadAssembly(String assemblyName,
Boolean throwOnFail)
at
System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.AddAssemblyDependency(String assemblyName, Boolean
addDependentAssemblies)
at
System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ProcessDirective(String directiveName, IDictionary
directive)
at System.Web.UI.TemplateParser.ParseStringInternal(String
text, Encoding fileEncoding)

Hi John,

Thank you for your interest in Aspose.Words for SharePoint.

Yes, you are right, Aspose.Words for SharePoint installation on an x64 system is incorrect. Your request has been linked to the appropriate issue. You will be notified as soon as the issue is resolved.

Sorry about wasting your time and thank you for a detailed problem report.

Best regards,

I have the same issue. Is there any resolution?

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott,

thank you for your interest in Aspose.Words for SharePoint. The issue with x64 installation is already fixed in the current code base. The fix will be included in the next release which will be published next week. You will be notified.

Best regards,

Hi John, Scott,

We are glad to inform you that issue with installation on x64 servers is now fixed in our latest v.1.2.0 release which can be downloaded here.

That is great news! I'm going to install it and give it a try. Thanks for the update.

Scott

I tried it out and it works fine. The only issue we have is that all of our .docs have versions associated with them. Is there any way to convert all the versions of the doc to a docx instead of just the latest version? Retaining version history is important to our enterprise and we would prefer not to have to maintain docs and docx of the same document.

Thanks,

Scott

Hi Scott,

It’s great that your issue with x64 installation is resolved now. Thank you for informing us.

As for your request about retaining version history, I’d like to confirm that I understand you correctly.
Do you mean that if a document library is configured to remember the previous file versions, you’d like to convert each version and save them as versions of the destination file? So, for example if we have versions 1, 2 and 3 of sample.doc then after converting to .docx we shall have sample.docx, with 3 versions, version 1 being sample.doc version 1 converted to .docx and so on?

We will consider adding such feature in one of the future releases. You will be notified.

Thanks and best regards,

Hi Dmitry,

Thanks for the reply. The example you used is exactly right. We would very much be interested in this additional feature of converting doc versions to docx versions. Thank you for considering and please keep me informed.

Best regards,

Scott

Hi Scott,

thank you for the additional information. We will notify you about this feature.

Best regards,