Free Support Forum - aspose.com

Re: UpdateFields call freezes when License is set

@DmitryV: Just to be clear, our issue is indeed a performance issue, but a performance issue that ONLY occurs when the license is set. Once the license is not set, the updatefields has no performance issues.

Regards

Paul Vrugt
Sr. Software Engineer
Infoland BV

Hi,


In one of our products we use Aspose.Words to generate quite big reports with potentially a lot of headers.
While testing we created a report with 15.000+ headers and a table of contents, which caused the process to spike to 100% CPU indefinately and to fill up the servers memory.

After researching the problem we came to the conclusion that the problem was with the "UpdateFields" call.

We created a test web application which loads the document and calls the "UpdateFields" function, and in this case the call finished in 2 seconds. After some more tries we found out that the problem only occurs when we set the Aspose.Words License file...

This is the test application code:

Dim objLicense As New Aspose.Words.License()
objLicense.SetLicense("Aspose.Words.lic")
Dim objDocument As New Aspose.Words.Document("C:\infoland\Sjoerd.docx")
objDocument.UpdateFields()
Response.Write("done")

As you can understand, this is a serious problem for our customers, because when this happens, the entire server becomes unresponsive because our process is claiming all resources. Can you confirm this issue and provide us with a fix?
regards,

Sjoerd van Loon
Hi Hilbert,

Thanks for your inquiry. I have managed to reproduce the same issue at my side. I have logged this issue as WORDSNET-7085 in our issue tracking system. I have linked this forum thread to the same issue and you will be notified via this forum thread once this issue is resolved.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

Hi Paul,


Thank you for your remark. That simply happens because the document is truncated when license is not set.

We have detected a few bottlenecks using a profiler, I’m not yet sure what the exact improvement will be after they are optimized, but hopefully it will be noticeable. Your document is large and complex, TOC update launched in Word takes 2 to 3 minutes on my machine, which is outstanding. So we are working on it, but I would suggest considering smaller document(s) if possible.

Thanks.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-7085) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.


This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.
(2)

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-7085) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.


This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.