Reading from a stream and writing to a stream takes much longer in new Aspose Slides version (6.9.1)

Hi,

We are trying to migrate to a new Aspose Slides version (6.9.1) from version 2.9.6. However, there are a few serious problems with the new version. One is an already reported issue: https://forum.aspose.com/t/75464https://forum.aspose.com/t/75464
which we would really appreciate if you can focus on soon.

The other very serious issue is that reading a PPTX file from a stream and writing it back to a stream takes much longer in aspose.slides-6.9.1 version, than under aspose.slides-2.9.6 which we currently use.

To document the issue, please see an attached example pptx file (larger or more complex the file, better pronounced is the issue). Also, please see the simple code snippet that I used (I am not doing any additional operations with the file - just reading it and writing it back):

System.out.println("Start: " + new Date() );
FileInputStream fileInput = new FileInputStream( “c:/Fractions.pptx”);
PresentationEx pres = new PresentationEx( fileInput );
System.out.println("Reading End: " + new Date());
FileOutputStream fileOutput = new FileOutputStream( “c:/output.pptx”);
pres.save( fileOutput, SaveFormat.PPTX );
System.out.println("writing End: " + new Date());

To execute this under aspose.slides-2.9.6 takes about 5 seconds; it takes at least 20 seconds under aspose.slides-6.9.1. With larger files, the difference is even bigger.

Please let us know if this can be fixed and when can we expect this to be fixed. We are not able to use the new Aspose Slides version with this performance.

Thanks,

Natasa

Hi Natasa,

I am sorry for the delayed response. I have tried accessing the presentation and saving that using your shared sample code. I have observed 10 seconds for accessing, reading and saving the presentation file shared by you using Aspose.Slides for Java 6.9.1. I also like to share that we are resolving the issue of performance on our end and in upcoming release of Aspose.Slides for Java 7.1.0, this issue has been addressed and performance has been improved to a great deal.

I have created an issue with ID SLIDESJAVA-33764 to further investigate and resolve the issue. This thread has been linked with the issue so that you may be automatically notified once the issue will be resolved.

We are sorry for your inconvenience,

Hi Natasa,

I have tested the presentation file shared using Aspose.Slides for Java 7.2.0 on my end. I have achieved following results on my end and they have significantly improved. I also like to add further that ported versions of Aspose.Slides for Java 3.x.x and onward are based on Net code and use MS, they can not be directly compared to 2.9.6. I will share the product release notification with you shortly. I am using Windows 7 x64 installed over Core i7 1.6 Ghz machine with 8 Gb Ram.

Reading Start: Mon Apr 01 19:37:41 PKT 2013
Reading End: Mon Apr 01 19:37:48 PKT 2013
End Date: Mon Apr 01 19:37:53 PKT 2013
Time Elapsed: 11

Many Thanks,

Hi Mudassir,

I can see some improvement in the performance, but that’s not enough for our needs. With the file that was attached with the original post, reading the file still takes twice as long in 7.2.0 version than 2.9.6 version. And as I mentioned before, the difference is more dramatic with more complex files. Unfortunately, it’s the more complex files that we use in our application. We really need the new Aspose Slides version to match the performance of Aspose Slides 2.9.6 in order to be able to use it.

Also, the first problem still persists and I see that it has not been addressed yet: after a presentation as saved to a stream, a warning pops up when a document is being opened. See the attachment to see the warning. We can’t use your product with this error either.

Please let me know if you plan to address these 2 issues in near future.

Thanks,

Natasa

Hi Natasa,

I like to share that we are addressing the issue of performance in Aspose.Slides for Java. The issue SLIDESJAVA-33764 is still under investigation in this regard and has been added as a regression.

I also like to add that we already have added the issue for presentation repair message popping up when saving presentation using stream with ID SLIDESJAVA-33679 in our issue tracking system. I have linked this thread with the issue so that you may be automatically notified once the issue will be resolved. I also request you to please share the sample presentation and code snippet used on your end to reproduce this issue so that we may perform verification before sharing the fix with you.

Many Thanks,

Hi Mudassir,

To replicate both issues, you may use the code
snippet and the pptx document example that was posted with and attached to
the the top message of this thread. Please let me know if you need me to
sent the attachment again to you.

Thanks,

Natasa

Hi Natasa,

I have worked with the shared presentation and have been able to reproduce the issue on my end. I have updated the issue status and will share the feedback with you as soon as the issue will be resolved.

We are sorry for your inconvenience.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as SLIDESJAVA-33679) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.
(1)

Hi,

I can see again some improvement in the performance, but that’s definitely not enough for our needs. Comparing speed of reading a file and writing a file in 2.9.6 and 7.8.0 versions, the performance for 7.8.0 version still significantly lags behind the version 2.9.6. As we use quite large files, this issues only gets more pronounced. Waiting about 30 seconds for a file to be read and written is too much, especially when I get to read/write the same file in less than 1/2 of a time under 2.9.6.

I hope you will reopen this issue, as with the status as it is now, we are not able to use the new Aspose.Slides version.

Thanks,

Natasa

Below are the results reading and writing the file; no other processing is involved:

Results:
File used:
380kB
33 slides

File Read/Write test, OLD Aspose.Slides 2.9.6;
Start: Thu Oct 17 10:52:58 CDT 2013
Reading End: Thu Oct 17 10:53:05 CDT 2013
writing End: Thu Oct 17 10:53:11 CDT 2013
Total: 13sec

File Read/Write test, NEW Aspose.Slides 7.8.0;
Start: Thu Oct 17 10:54:53 CDT 2013
Reading End: Thu Oct 17 10:55:10 CDT 2013
writing End: Thu Oct 17 10:55:21 CDT 2013
Total: 28sec.

Hi Natasa,

I have observed the statistics shared by you and like to share that we are still working on improving the performance of Aspose.Slides for Java and concerned issue SLIDESJAVA-33764 is still unresolved and is blocked owing to internal issues. The issue SLIDESJAVA-33679 that has been resolved is actually related to presentation repair messages appearing when presentation is saved to output streams. We will share the good news with you as soon as the performance issue SLIDESJAVA-33764 will be completely addressed for the presentation Fractions.ppt shared by you earlier. If it is some other presentation that you have verified then please share that along with statistics achieved on your end and I will create a separate ticket for its investigation in our issue tracking system.

Many Thanks,

Hi Mudassir,

This issue is becoming a top priority for us. Any update on when can we expect any improvement in this matter?

I am attaching a new example file (in size and form more accurate example of what we are dealing with with our clients) - reading and writing this file takes extremely long.

Please let me know if you can replicate the bad read/write performance with this file and if there is any chance we can get any improvement in this matter soon.

Thanks,

Natasa

Hi Natasa,

I have discussed the issue SLIDESJAVA-33764 concerning to performance with our development team and will update you as soon as possible in this regard for that.

Secondly, I suggest you to please try using Aspose.Slides for Java 8.3.0 on your end with newly shared presentation in your last post and also Fractions.pptx. Please share the results achieved on your end along with Machine and Operating System specifications. We have made some performance improvements in new versions as well. We will compare the results for both on our end to help you further.

Many Thanks,

Hi Mudassir,

I appreciate your quick response.

Here is the information you asked for:
- I am doing these tests on my local machine, but we get similar results on servers running the client applications
- Machine: HP Pavilion dv6-6110us

Below are the results reading and writing the file (code snippet has been included in a post above); no other processing is involved. I have not noticed any improvement in this area in 8.3.0 release comparing to releases before.

Results:
File used: Fractions.pptx
File Read/Write test, NEW Aspose.Slides 8.3.0;
Start: Thu Mar 20 08:42:53 CDT 2014
Reading End: Thu Mar 20 08:43:03 CDT 2014
writing End: Thu Mar 20 08:43:18 CDT 2014
Total: 25sec.

File used: LargeFileSample.pptx
File Read/Write test, NEW Aspose.Slides 8.3.0;
Start: Thu Mar 20 08:46:02 CDT 2014
Reading End: Thu Mar 20 08:46:42 CDT 2014
writing End: Thu Mar 20 08:47:06 CDT 2014
Total: 1 min 4 sec

Please let me know if you need any other information.
Thanks,

Natasa

Hi Natasa,

Many Thanks for your quick turnaround. I have annexed the details shared by you in concerned ticket. Our development team is investigating the issue on their end. I will share the feedback with you in this regard as soon as it will be shared by our development team.

Many Thanks,

Hi Natasa,

Our development team has investigated the issue on their end w.r.t new merged Aspose.Slides for Java 14.4.0 API. They have compared the results of Aspose.Slides for Java 14.4.0 with Aspose.Slides for Java 8.6.0. On a small presentation (Fractions) performance has not improved, because of the need to load MS JDK in JVM. On a large presentation (LargeFileSample), we see an improvement of performance.

Fractions.pptx

version Reading (ms) Writing (ms)
8.6.0 3500 2576
14.4.0 3603 2451

LargeFileSample.pptx

version Reading (sec) Writing (sec)
8.3.0 16100 9083
8.3.0 14062 8208

Many Thanks,