Regression with BIFF5 files

Previously we used Aspose.Cells for .NET v19.5 and the attached files were opened without a problem, but after switching to v20.3 which fixed this issue BIFF5 with Cyrillic content is incorrectly converted to XLSX - #2 by ahsaniqbalsidiqui we can no longer open those files. The code for opening the files is the same as in the above issue. Here are the XLS files Regression.zip (17.6 KB).

@volozyko,
We were able to observe the issue but we need to look into it more. We have logged the issue in our database for investigation and for a fix. Once, we will have some news for you, we will update you in this topic.

This issue has been logged as

CELLSNET-47266 – Exception "Argument index is out of array range" while loading the attached XLS files

@volozyko,
This is to inform you that we have fixed your issue (logged earlier as “CELLSNET-47266”) now. We will soon provide you the fixed version after performing QA and incorporating other enhancements and fixes.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as CELLSNET-47266) have been fixed in Aspose.Cells for .NET v20.4. This message was posted using Bugs notification tool by Amjad_Sahi

1 Like

Conversion problem is gone. Thanks.

However, there is an issue with the converted file (original attached to this topic). Namely, Atom_Diagrams_Target_Diagram_2003.xls after conversion to XLSX loses drawings. I don’t know if this needs a separate topic on this forum or can be discussed in the current topic.

@volozyko,

Thanks for the details.

After an initial test, I am able to reproduce the issue as you described by converting your mentioned file to XLSX file format. I found drawing shapes lost after BIFF5 XLS to XLSX conversion, the shapes are not properly converted in the output file. It seems some drawing shapes are not parsed or supported entirely for BIFF5 file format:
e.g
Sample code:

var doc = new Workbook("e:\\test2\\Atom_Diagrams_Target_Diagram_2003.xls");
            doc.Save("e:\\test2\\out1.xlsx");

I have logged a separate ticket with an id “CELLSNET-47314” for your issue. We will look into it soon.

Once we have an update on it, we will let you know.

@volozyko,
We do not support to parse Polygon shape in BIFF5 XLS file now. It is different from the setting of .xlsx. We have no plan to support Polygon shape in BIFF5 XLS file in near future.

@volozyko,

Please try our latest version/fix: Aspose.Cells for .NET v20.4.5 (attached)

Your issue “CELLSNET-47314” should be fixed for a few shapes in it.

Let us know your feedback.
Aspose.Cells20.4.5 For .Net2_AuthenticodeSigned.Zip (5.3 MB)
Aspose.Cells20.4.5 For .Net4.0.Zip (5.4 MB)

You added support for Polygon shapes? Anyway I’ll try. Thanks.

@volozyko,
We have fixed other issues whereas support for Polygon shapes is not provided in this hotfix. Please give it a try and share the feedback.

I tried the new 20.4.5 and couldn’t find any difference in terms of conversion of Atom_Diagrams_Target_Diagram_2003.xls to XLSX format compared to 20.4. 20.4 worked fine (apart from the lost Polygon shapes), BTW. Thanks.

I’m a bit lost in your artifacts versioning. When referring to 20.4 above I meant this one Aspose.Cells for .NET 20.4 (DLLs Only). The 20.4.5 you attached to this topic could be just the same but I don’t know.

@volozyko,

Please note, Aspose.Cells for .NET v20.4.5 fixes rendering issues for top right shapes (labelled as Release, Charts, and Goals+). The purple circles (filled) are not fixed in the fix.

The issue “CELLSNET-47314” is still open and we may support the rest of the shapes in BIFF7/BIFF5 format in future versions but we won’t support it any time soon.