Replacing desktop exe (need to generate and import excel charts)

Hi,
Just starting to look at replacing a desktop exe with a web application.

The exe takes a previously created word document, looks for certain bookmarks, and replaces the bookmark with an image of a chart.

This chart is created by opening an previously created excel document, populating a worksheet with values from a database query, refreshing the chart data source, and then saving the whole chart as a bitmap.

I suppose the simple question is will Apose (words and chart and/or cells) allow me to mimic this behaviour? (I'm not after many details at the moment, just trying to gauge whether it is worth me evaluating the software more fully)

Many thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for considering Aspose.

I can say that Aspose.Words has all the necessary functionality for your task. We can easily substitute bookmarks in the text with an image. As for Aspose.Cells I am not sure they curently have the ability to create and export Excel charts as bitmaps. However, we have another product called Aspose.Chart that can take data from Aspose.Cells and create charts. Maybe we can put it in the middle to accomplish your task.

I am moving this post to Aspose.Cells forum so that Aspose.Cells team could estimate the feasibilty of this from their side. They will answer you shortly.

Best regards,

This chart is created by opening an previously created excel document, populating a worksheet with values from a database query, refreshing the chart data source, and then saving the whole chart as a bitmap.

Aspose.Cells supports above features except exporting the chart as a bitmap. We are investigating this feature but I don't think we can provide it in a short time.

Now you can try to use Aspose.Words, Aspose.Cells and Aspose.Chart to accomplish your task.

Thanks for the feedback.

The reason for wanting to generate the bitmap from the excel chart is that we have about 80 spreadsheet templates containing the graph layouts.

It was originally hoped that we could keep these templates, rather than having to convert them into Aspose.Chart settings, but that's life :)

Cheers,

Steve

Hi Laurence,

I read with interest that you are looking at allowing the Excel chart to be exported to a bitmap (above). Could you let me know how that is going please, and whether you have an expected release date?

This would really help with the OLE ‘Object Changed’ issue that arises when embedding an Excel chart in an Aspose.Slides presentation.

Thanks,

a

Yes, we will work on this feature and it may help with your mentioned "Object changed" issue.

However, it's a complex feature and we don't have an exact release date for it. I think it may take at least 6 months.

Ok, thanks Laurence. Really looking forward to that feature, good luck in implementing it.

Thanks,

a