Replacing Word Automation with Aspose.Words

Hi,

I have been trying to automate Word to save both .doc.and .docx file in HTML format (unfiltered). The output would then be passed onto an existing component that deals with further conversions which get quite complicated. We do not want to replace the existing component because there is significant cost involved in doing that. Word automation using Microsofts’ interop libraries is not working when used in a web application and Microsoft warn against doing this in a web application scenario.

I have downloaded a demo version of Aspose.Words for .Net and I can convert the documents no problem however the output is very different to that produced through Word automation so we cannot process it further.

Is there a way I can use Aspose.Words for .Net to produce the same output as Word automation but without the unattended process issues?

Thanks
Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your inquiry. Could you please attach your input documents (.doc/.docx files) and their respective HTML files here for testing? I will investigate the issue on my side and provide you more information. Moreover, please tell us about the type of HTML input, your existing component does require? Also, please share HTML files i.e. generated by Word Automation, I will compare these HTML outputs on my side and provide you more information.

Best Regards,

Hi,

Thanks for your response. Attached is a zip file containing a sample document and 2 directories with the output from word automation and from Aspose.Words.

Our existing component was developed a long time ago to handle the output produced in the word automation sample so this is what I am trying to produce for both .doc and .docx.

Our existing systems handle .doc files fine using some horrible VBScript code, I now need to support docx files and would like to handle it all in .Net.

Thanks
Nick

Hi,

Thanks for you request. Firstly, Aspose.Words does support converting DOCX to HTML files. Please see the following link for more details:
http://www.aspose.com/documentation/.net-components/aspose.words-for-.net/introducing-aspose-words-for-net.html

Secondly, while using Aspose.Words v10.7.0, I could not find any issue in DOC to HTML conversion (i.e. HTML 4.0 transitional) on my side. It seems that your existing component was specifically developed for working with HTML documents that are generated via Word Automation. If this is found to be the case, could you please describe here the details of the functionality you’re trying to achieve with your existing component.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Best Regards,