RTF copmatibility problem on Windows XP / WordPad

Hi,
Our web based project generates a RTF document based on a MS Word template. On Windows XP clients, where only wordpad exists (no office), the generated document fails to open, or does not display regional (Turkish) characters.
We have tried using different versions of MS Office to prepare the template file. We alse tried .DOC and .RTF formats for template file to no avail.
Generated files open without a problem on Windows 7’s WordPad.
We are using Aspose words for java.
Regards
Ali KOKSAL

Hello.

Thanks for your request. Could you please attach you input and output documents here for testing? I will check them and provide some feedback.

Best regards,

Hi,

Thanks for your quick response, sample template and generated files are attached.

Regards
Ali KOKSAL

And here is a saved version of the garbled file.

Hi Ali,
Thank you for additional information. I think, the problem occurs on PCs without Office because some of fonts used in your document are not exist on these machines or old versions of the fonts are installed. When you install Office, a set of fonts is also installed.
Also, as I can see the RTF documents you have attached were not generated with Aspose.Words or they were post-processed by some other tool.
Best regards,

Hi Alexey,

We checked out the fonts our template and document only uses “Arial” font. We also tried to open the generated files on Windows XP systems with MS Office installed and the same problem still exists.

I am attaching another file, that is “pure” Aspose generated.

Hello
Thank you for additional information. I cannot reproduce the problem on my side using the latest version of Aspose.Words for Java (10.4.0). I use the following code for testing:

Document doc = new Document("C:\\Temp\\template.doc");
doc.save("C:\\Temp\\out.rtf", SaveFormat.RTF);

The output RTF looks exactly the same as the input template. Please see the attached RTF.
Could you please provide me the code which will allow me to reproduce the problem on my side?
Best regards,

Hi,

The files you have requested are attached to this post. I also attached a screenshot of the document on WordPad with the correct values annotated in red.

Regards
Ali KOKSAL

Hello
Thank you for additional information. As a variant, you can try specifying the locale id for each run node, like shown in the code below:

Document doc = new Document("C:\\Temp\\in.doc");
// Get collection of Run nodes.
NodeCollection runs = doc.getChildNodes(NodeType.RUN, true);
// Loop throught all Runs.
for (int i = 0; i <runs.getCount(); i++)
{
    Run run = (Run) runs.get(i);
    run.getFont().setLocaleId(1055); //"tr-TR"
}
doc.save("C:\\Temp\\out.rtf");

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Hi Andrey,

Thanks for your help, we applied your suggestions but unfortunately the problem still exists.

We found out that if we open and save the rtf file with Microsoft Word, WordPad on Windows XP able to open it.

Is there anything else we can do?

Regards
Ali KOKSAL

Hello
Thanks you for additional information. I managed to reproduc this problem on my side, and logged it in our defect database. You will be notified once it is fixed.
Best regards,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-5254) have been fixed in this .NET update and in this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.