RTF Numbered List is incorrect

Hello. I am using Aspose.Words to create reports for my users to download. For the most part this is working and the DOC, DOCX, and PDF files are being created correctly. However, for one of my customers, when an RTF is created the numbers are incorrect. Instead of starting with “A” (or whatever they have chosen) it starts with “I” or “E” or some other number.

This is even happening when I load up a DOC or DOCX file and resave it as RTF. I have attached the files as a reference.

If I change the list to use numbers or roman numerals the same problem occurs.

The issue appears to be with the item that has new line characters in it, but doesn’t have numbers for each of them. (This is how the customer wants it displayed.) If I change or remove the new line characters the issue goes away (or changes at least). If I add more new line characters (more paragraphs) the incorrect number gets even more incorrect for RTFs.

Is this a problem with Aspose.Words? Is there a solution?

File.DOCX (22.0 KB)

It wouldn’t let me upload the DOC file, only the DOCX.

This is my code for saving it as an RTF. Nothing fancy. But the resulting RTF is numbered differently (incorrectly).

Document doc = new Document(loadFilePath);
doc.Save(saveFilePath, SaveFormat.Rtf);

I also cannot upload the RTF files as an example. But you can recreate them via this DOCX.

The “E” number underneath the first “I” is supposed to be an “A”. The DOCX is correct with it’s “A”.

@jsierks
We have opened the following new ticket(s) in our internal issue tracking system and will deliver their fixes according to the terms mentioned in Free Support Policies.

Issue ID(s): WORDSNET-25668

You can obtain Paid Support Services if you need support on a priority basis, along with the direct access to our Paid Support management team.

We do now have a second customer reporting this issue. And I could get a second RTF example, if needed. But since it is the same issue I’ll just wait for updates to this ticket.

@jsierks You can attach the second problematic document here. Our development team will make sure the problem is the same.

image.png (5.3 KB)
This RTF’s issue is with #3, subitem “D”. Or at least it should be D. It is D in the DOCX file, but it’s not in the resulting RTF.
File2.DOCX (23.6 KB)

@jsierks
We have opened the following new ticket(s) in our internal issue tracking system and will deliver their fixes according to the terms mentioned in Free Support Policies.

Issue ID(s): WORDSNET-25678

You can obtain Paid Support Services if you need support on a priority basis, along with the direct access to our Paid Support management team.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-25668,WORDSNET-25678) have been fixed in this Aspose.Words for .NET 23.8 update also available on NuGet.

While it does now work to convert from a DOCX to an RTF, this is still an issue.

Converting from DOC to RTF has the same numbering problem as before. So this conversion was not fixed. I’ve uploaded a ZIP with these files for further testing:
File.zip (20.1 KB)

And ultimately, we are actually using Aspose to create these files and reports from scratch. We are not actually converting them like this (I wrote up the ticket that way because it was the easiest way to recreate it). And when we create these files using Aspose, they still download incorrectly. Perhaps it’s related to the unfixed issue with DOC files.

@jsierks, could you create a minimal console application that creates a sample report from scratch and demonstrates the issue? It will help us understand the issue.