RTF to PDF full Embedded fonts

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for your patience. I have generated the PDF file with embedded fonts by using GhostScript. Yes, the output PDF file size is small. Please note that Aspose.Word mimics the same behavior as MS Word. The conversion of PDF with embedded fonts by using GhostScript and MS Word/Aspose.Words are two different scenarios.

However, I have logged this issue as WORDSNET-7336 in our issue tracking system. I have linked this forum thread to the same issue. Our development team will investigate this issue and we will update you via this forum thread about our findings.

Hi,

Thanks for the issue creation.

Is there anything else you can reveal however ? Does the font embedding is a different quality than from Aspose ?

I suspect that font embedding from Aspose embeds the complete font family, for each font used in a given document, and that font embedding from GhostScript maybe embeds only the required font variation used.

You see what I mean ?

Is that possible ?

Thanks for all your time.

N. Fortin

Hi Nicolas,

Please accept my apologies for late response. Overall font files size is about 6 MB. They are compressed to 3.6 MB. It seems that GhostScript do not embed fonts correctly. Our development team is looking into this issue and I will update you about their findings soon.

Hi Tahir,

Thanks for your update.

I’m very glad to read about this information. I can’t wait to see the final results of your analysis .

Thanks again for your,and the aspose dev team time .

N. Fortin

Hi Nicolas,

I have received response from our development team and like to share with you that PDF file generated with GhostScript do not contains the embedded fonts. That’s why it’s size is small. All embedded fonts are subsets despite the Adobe Reader doesn’t shows it.

Hi Tahir,

First, let me tanks you again for all your investigation.

I need your help to have a concrete (technical) conclusion about this:

I stated that :

PDF file generated with GhostScript do not contains the embedded fonts. That’s why it’s size is small. All embedded fonts are subsets despite the Adobe Reader doesn’t shows it.

What’s that meaning technicaly ?

Is GhostScript simply lifting some flags in the pdf file, indicating that fonts are fully embedded, but are not in reality ?

Does GhostScript is breaking the file ?!

In other words, I need to obtain the technical details about the differences between the two files.

Again, a big big thanks for your time, it’s greatly appreciated.

N. Fortin

Hi Nicolas,

Please accept my apologies for late response. Our developer has again investigated this issue and shared that the PDF file generated by GhostScript do not have embedded fonts. May be the GhostScript command shared at this forum link do not embed fonts correctly.

PDF specification says that font objects for fonts (subset) should be marked some special way. GhostScript embed subsetted font data but for some reason doesn’t mark the font objects. That’s why Adobe Reader shows that fonts are not subsetted.

Here is a quote from PDF specification about font subsetting:

For a font subset, the PostScript name of the font—the value of the font’s BaseFont entry and the font descriptor’s FontName entry—begins with a tag followed by a plus sign (+). The tag consists of exactly six uppercase letters; the choice of letters is arbitrary, but different subsets in the same PDF file must have different tags. For example, EOODIA+Poetica is the name of a subset of Poetica.

Hope this answers your query. Please let us know if you have any more queries.

Hi Tahir,

Thanks for all these informations, really appreciated.

Have a good day.

N. Fortin

Hi Nicolas,

Thanks for your feedback. Please let us know if you have any more queries about Aspose.Words.