Save causes a crash

If I have manipulated a chart datalabel in anyway:

oChartSeries = oGraph.ChartData.Series(intCmpyCol)

Dim label As DataLabel

label = oChartSeries.DataPoints(iPos).Label

label.TextFrameForOverriding.Text = strValue

label.DataLabelFormat.ShowCategoryName = True
label.DataLabelFormat.Position = lgPos

and then save my presentation with:

oPPTPres.Save(strFileInfo2, Aspose.Slides.Export.SaveFormat.Pptx)

The presentation saves perfectly, but when I open the resulting file in PowerPoint manually it crashes with the message:

Microsoft Office PowerPoint has stopped working. Close the Program, Debug the program.

This didn’t happen with version 8.0.0

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the details.

Please share your input and output file with complete sample code with us. We will test your issue and will get back to you.

Thanks & Regards,

OK, here's the code (note this is using release 14.30), I have attached the template and the output. You can see it works perfectly - until you hit save...

Private Sub cmdRunCode_Click(sender As Object, e As System.EventArgs) Handles cmdRunCode.Click

Dim strpptFile As String

Dim strFile As String

Dim oPPTPres As Aspose.Slides.Presentation

Dim oSlide As Slide

Dim iSlideIndex As Integer

Dim oShape As Shape

Dim oGraph As Chart

Dim intCmpyCol As Integer

Dim iPos As Integer = 10

Dim strValue As String = "Hello"

strpptFile = "C:\bin\ASPOSE Sample\HSC Issue\Just Slide 601.pptx"

strFile = "DataLabelTest"

Dim strObjName As String

strObjName = "chart1_HSC"

oPPTPres = New Presentation(strpptFile)

oSlide = oPPTPres.Slides.Item(0)

oShape = FindShape(oSlide, strObjName)

oGraph = CType(oShape, Chart)

intCmpyCol = oGraph.ChartData.Series.Count - 1

Dim oChartSeries As ChartSeries

oChartSeries = oGraph.ChartData.Series(intCmpyCol)

Dim label As DataLabel

label = oChartSeries.DataPoints(iPos).Label

label.TextFrameForOverriding.Text = strValue

label.DataLabelFormat.ShowCategoryName = True

label.DataLabelFormat.Position = LegendDataLabelPosition.Bottom

'Saving the thumbnail image in jpeg format

oPPTPres.Save("C:\bin\ASPOSE Sample\HSC Issue\" & strFile & ".pptx", Aspose.Slides.Export.SaveFormat.Pptx)

Me.lblResult.Text = "File generated"

End Sub

Public Shared Function FindShape(ByVal oSlide As Slide, ByVal objName As String) As Shape

Dim oShape As Shape

Dim bNotes As Boolean

If Left(objName, 5) = "NOTES" Then

bNotes = True

End If

'Loop through shape collection and return shape object

If bNotes = True Then

'Find on notes page

For Each oShape In oSlide.NotesSlide.Shapes

If oShape.Name = objName Then

Return oShape

End If

Next oShape

Else

'Find on slide

Try

For Each oShape In oSlide.Shapes

If oShape.Name = objName Then

Return oShape

End If

Next oShape

Catch ex As Exception

Return Nothing

End Try

End If

Return Nothing

End Function

End Class

Hi Andy,

Thank you for sharing the sample code and template file.

I have checked your code and the resultant file you shared. I am unable to notice any error message or crash when opening the presentation file in MS PowerPoint. The file opens fine. Please let us know your environment details i.e. OS, .NET Framework, PowerPoint version etc. We will check it further and get back to you.

Thanks & Regards,

Yes the file opens fine, NOW try pressing Save in PowerPoint.

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the feedback.

I am able to reproduce your mentioned issue after further testing. An issue has been registered in our issue tracking system with issue id: SLIDESNET-35419. You will be notified via this forum thread once the issue gets resolved.

Thanks & Regards,

So what is the likely timescale on this being fixed?

It says like a pretty major bug to me - that the whole override text functionality does work at all in labels

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

The development team has scheduled the issue for
investigation for next week and I have asked them to share the details and ETA
once they are done with the investigation. Once we have any update, we will
share it with you via this forum thread.

Thanks & Regards,

Howdy,

Did the development team decide on how massive a job it will be to fix this issue? I'm trying to plan for the next release of our tool that incorporates your dll and I can't do that; until this issue is fixed.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thank you for being patient.

Your reported issue is still under investigation and I have requested the development team to share the ETA once they have the detailed information regarding the cause of the issue. I will update you once I have the required information regarding the ETA.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

The issues you have found earlier (filed as SLIDESNET-35419) have been fixed in this update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by Aspose Notifier.

I have just tried the new dll (version 14.5.0.0) with the sample code and files I have posted in the message above and it STILL DOES NOT WORK!

Did anyone try running this before posting it as fixed?

Not impressed.

Andy

Hi Andy,

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience,

I just tested your issue with the latest version and I am still able to reproduce the issue at my end. I have reopened the issue in our issue tracking system and asked the development team to further investigate the issue as it has not been fixed. We will keep you updated regarding any details we get from the development side.

Thanks & Regards,

Hi,

Keep me posted please. This is particularly frustrating because we are currently stuck on 7.4.4.0 of the dll as we can’t upgrade because it doesn’t work properly.

Regards

andy

Hi, Any progress being made on this?

Hi Andy,

I have verified your issue from our issue tracking system and your issue is still under investigation. I have requested the development team to share the updates and as soon as the information is shared, we will update you via this forum thread.

Thanks & Regards,

So,

Two more weeks have gone by and I would like to know:

1. When is this bug scheduled to be addressed?
2. Why was it reported as fixed previously when it obviously wasn’t.

I am very frustrated by being stuck on a much earlier release of ASPOSE.Slides as a result.

Andy

Hi Andy,

1: Your issue is currently under investigation and we will share the feedback of the development team with you once we have the details.

2: As per the development team, this issue was fixed and tested with MS PowerPoint 2013 but is still reproducible in MS PowerPoint 2007. They are trying to figure out why the issue is occurring.

We will update you as soon as we have any updates.

Thanks & Regards,

Howdy,

Thanks for the update, unfortunately I work for vast organisation and it could be an awfully long time before they upgrade PowerPoint from 2007.

So hopefully your developers will find out why your product doesn’t work with all the supported releases of PowerPoint.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the feedback.

I would like to inform you that the issue has been fixed and the fix will be included in our upcoming release of Aspose.Slides for .NET v14.7.0. You will be notified via this thread once the new version is available for download.

Thanks & Regards,