Saving a presentation as PDF produces incorrect fonts

Hi,

I am trying to convert a .pptx file to PDF. The presentation contains text using the “Calisto MT” font. Unfortunately, the text in the produced PDF has a different font (see attached files).
I’ve checked/tried the following things:
  • The font is installed on my system (MacOS X Yosemite)
  • FontsLoader.loadExternalFonts() with the correct folder ("/Library/Fonts/Microsoft") does not fix the issue
I am using Aspose.Slides for Java 15.3.0 (jdk18). What am I doing wrong?

PS: The PDF contains the watermark because I am in the process of evaluating Aspose.Slide for my company. Right now, this issue is the only thing that keeps us from buying a license, because it is crucial to the success of our product!

Hi,

Thank you for considering Aspose.Slides.

I have observed your requirements and worked with the presentation file shared by you. I would like to share that I have not been able to reproduce the issue using Aspose.Slides for Java 15.3.0 on my end with jdk 1.7.0. I have attached the generated pdf file for your kind reference. I request you to please try using Aspose.Slides for Java 15.3.0 on your end with some other JDK and then share the feedback with us.

If the issue persists, please let us know. We’ll be happy to assist you further.

Best Regards,

Sorry for the late response! I was on vacation and now I’m back at work :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, we are not able to use a different SDK, because our project uses Java 8’s streaming API. Could you try it again with jdk 1.8.0 and see if you get the same results?

Best regards

Hi,

I have observed your requirements and worked over them. I have not been able to observe the issue while using JDK 1.8 update 45, which is latest version of JDK at the moment. I suggest you to check with same JDK on your end and then share the feedback with us.

Please let us know if the issue persists. We will be happy to assist you further.

Best Regards,

I tried it again with an updated JDK (1.8 update 45) both on Linux (Debian Wheezy) and Mac OS X (Yosemite). Both systems produce results with the wrong font! :frowning:

Hi,

I have observed your requirements and worked with the presentation file shared by you. I have been able to reproduce the issue. A ticket with ID SLIDESJAVA-34896 has been logged in our issue tracking system to further investigate and resolve the issue.This thread has been linked with the issue so that you may be automatically notified once the issue will be resolved.

We are sorry for your inconvenience,

Has there been any progress on this issue so far?

Hi,

I have observed the issue status from our issue tracking system and like to share that we have identified the root cause of the issue so far. Actually, Microsoft Office for Mac installs “Calisto MT” font (used in your presentation) in the form of ‘font suitcase’ (several ttf in one file). Our API doesn’t see such fonts and we will be working over rectification of this issue. We will share the good news with you as soon as the issue will be fixed.

For the time being, I suggest you to copy the “Calisto MT” font from Windows environment, copy that in some accessible folder inside your MAC and then load that font externally in your application. Please visit this documentation link for your further kind reference as well.

Many Thanks,

A month has gone by now. We’re very eager to ship our new product in the near future, but won’t be able to do so until the PDFs can be compressed correctly! Is there any progress on the issue?

Hi,

I have verified the status of the issue SLIDESJAVA-34896 from our issue tracking system and regret to share that the issue is still unresolved owing to internal implementation. I have requested our product team to share the updates in this regard and will share the further feedback with you as soon as it will be shared by them.

We are sorry for your inconvenience,

Hi,

I updated my Aspose.Slides version to 15.6.0, but the issue still seems to be present in that version. Our planned product launch is approaching fast, which means that we will have to decide whether we will be able to use Aspose.Slides for pptx conversion (hence, buy a license) or if we’ll have to take a different approach.

It’s been almost three months now since I’ve posted the issue. Unfortunately, I won’t be able to wait that long again. Are you able to give me a time frame in which this issue can be resolved?

Best regards

Hi,

I have discussed the issue status with our product team and like to share that associated issue will be resolved in upcoming Aspose.Slides for Java 15.7.0. We will share the good news with you as soon as the product will be available online.

Many Thanks,

Thank you for the quick update! :slight_smile:

Do you already have a release date set for 15.7.0 (or a rough estimate)?

Hi,

Aspose.Slides for Java 15.7.0 is likely to be available before end of this month. We will share the good news with you as soon as the issue will be fixed.

Many Thanks,

Apparently, version 15.7.0 was released two days ago. I updated my dependencies and the bug seems to be fixed on Max OS X, which means it works on my local machine (progress!). However, the bug is still present on Debian Jessie. Is this a mistake on my end? Do I need to install any special packages or something?

Also, I took a look at the changelog for v15.7.0 and noticed many tickets referencing fonts issues. The ticket you mentioned earlier (SLIDESJAVA-34896) was not among them?

Hi,

I regret to share that the issue shared has not yet been resolved. The issue has not yet bee resolved owing to internal implementation of Aspose.Slides for Java. The issue is likely to be resolved in Aspose.Slides for Java 15.8.0 and we will share the feedback with you as soon as the issue will be fixed.

Many Thanks,