Free Support Forum - aspose.com

Saving document files on the server

Hello there, I have written a program which generates letters in microsoft word format using mail merge facilities…

I am in the process of bringing the program up to date including making it a partially web based system through using ASP.NET, I have a slightly different requirement than any of your samples I’ve downloaded whereby I require the word document be stored server side within the web site as opposed to just streaming it to the client.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = “urnTongue Tiedchemas-microsoft-comSurprisefficeSurpriseffice” /><oStick out tongue></oStick out tongue>

<oStick out tongue> </oStick out tongue>Could you please confirm whether or not your component is capable of creating/editing documents server side?<oStick out tongue></oStick out tongue>

Hi,

Thanks for your interest.

Sure, if the component runs on the server, you can save the documents there. Streaming to the browser is just one of the overloads of Document.Save.

Ok great, a couple more (important) questions before we purchase.

I also notice from your samples that when word is embedded within internet explorer (which is how my app is going to be) there is no “Save” option. Only a “Save As” which brings up the client machines c drive file requester.

I require the “Save” option whereby any changes that are made will be written to the word document stored on the web server??

Also due to the sensitive nature of these letters, this will need to be done over an SSL encrypted connection, this shouldn’t be a problem??

Upon answering of these questions I will be advising the powers that be to purchase your product…

Bear in mind that Aspose.Word is not a visual component. It is just a component to open, modify, mail merge and save Word files.

Save As option is presented by Internet Explorer on the client machine and there is nothing Aspose can do here. When the document is streamed onto the client machine it can only be saved on the client machine.

If you want to process the document on the server and save it on the server without sending it to the client, that’s fine, juse use Document.Save method.

If you plan to build something more complex as sending the document to the browser, letting user modify it and then sending it back to server - you need to build all the downloading and submitting forms yourself around this. If this is the case, I suggest you try to build the solution using evaluation version first.

SSL encryption is completely up to you and out of Aspose.Word scope.