Saving document to mac desktop

Hello, wondering if someone can help… we are using doc.save to create and open a word document in the browser on IE:

doc.Save(“filename.doc”, SaveFormat.FormatDocument, SaveType.OpenInBrowser, HttpContext.Current.Response);

This is great in IE, it opens the document in a separate browser window…all is good.

But, we have clients using Safari on the Mac. On the Mac, this code causes a new blank browser window to open and the file gets saved to the desktop, and the new browser window remains blank. Now I know that without some Safari Word plugin, we’re not going to see the document in the browser. That’s fine, so I tried using SaveType.OpenInWord, that didn’t work, I got the exact same results: blank browser window and file saved to desktop. That’s fine too, they can open the downloaded document manually with Word on the Mac. But is there a way to create/download the file without opening the new blank browser window? I also tried using another version of doc.Save:

doc.Save(“filename.doc”, SaveFormat.FormatDocument);

but with this I got a browser window saying “ACCESS DENIED”. It’s probably trying to save the file somewhere that the user/application doesn’t have rights to. I’m not a Mac user, what path/filename would I use to get the doc saved to the desktop? And there’s no point in going this route if I’m still going to get yet another browser window…

So, boiled down, is there a way to use doc.save or something to just download the file to the desktop and not open a new blank browser window (on Safari).

Sorry for the rambling. Thanks in advance for any help.
Sheryl

Hi Sheryl,

Thank you for considering Aspose.

When sending a document to the client browser, Aspose.Word does nothing but streams the document to it. If any problems occur on the client machine, the cause must be in that machine configuration.

Unfortunately, we are not Mac or Safari experts so we cannot provide you with proper directions of how to avoid the issue. However, since you are able to control process of sending the file content on server side, you can implement your own method of sending and experiment with it so probably the problem disappears. Here’s a link to the thread where you can find a fragment of code used by Aspose.Word to send the file to the browser (this code is available on the internet, too):

https://forum.aspose.com/t/129724