Send Mail via Outlook without Exchange

We have an application that sends email via Aspose.Email. Most of our customers use Outlook (with POP3/SMTP) for their email, and many have asked if the email sent from our application can appear in their Outlook sent items folder.

I have seen that it's possible to send an email via Exchange, but what are the options if they don't have Exchange? Is this even possible?

Hi David,

Thank you for your interest in Aspose products.

Please note, when sending messages with Aspose.Email.ExchangeClient or ExchangeWebServiceClient the Exchange Server sends a copy to the “Sent Items” and got picked up by the Outlook application. Whereas, in case of a sent message via SMTP that is configured on an Outlook, the Outlook itself copies the message to the “Sent Items”.

In your application, Aspose.Email just implements the SMTP protocol to send messages. It has nothing to do with adding it to “Sent Items”, if the same account is also configured on an Outlook. So I am afraid, it will not be possible without an Exchange Server.

Hi Babar, thanks for the response. However I am confused by the following statement:

Whereas, in case of a sent message via SMTP that is configured on an Outlook, the Outlook itself copies the message to the “Sent Items”.

Does this mean there is an Aspose function that can get Outlook (without exchange) to send a message via SMTP? Or are you simply referring to the case where the user sends a message directly from Outlook?

Hi,

I am sorry for my confusing statement. Let me clarify it.

In my above statement, I am referring to a case where the user has configured any Non-Exchange email account (for instance a gmail account) on Outlook to send emails via SMTP protocol. In such cases the Outlook will copy the sent message to the “Sent Items” for future reference.

If you are using SMTP protocol to send messages outside the Outlook application, then the sent message will not be copied to the “Sent Items”. Same is the case with Aspose.Email.Mail.SmtpClient, that only implements the SMTP protocol for outgoing emails.

Please feel free to write back in case of further questions.