Server-side printing

Hi…

We have a client what would like to perform large mail merges and directly print (server side) to a network printer without viewing the document. I know you are thinking about adding printing support - if so, would it support server and client side direct printing?

Thanks

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in Aspose.Word.

Aspose.Word will be able to print where it runs. Thus if you run the component on the server it will print on the server.

There seems to be no way to do client side printing by running the component on the server. The best you can do is to send a document to the client browser so they can print it if they want.

Thanks! Do you mean Aspose.Word currently does NOT support printing but will in the future. If yes, when do you estimate this feature to be available. Finally, does the api support printer selection and settings (i.e., duplex etc)?

Thanks again.

Currently Aspose.Word can only produce Word documents. It cannot print or show them, but we plan to support this. It will be available in 2-3 months. When Aspose.Word supports printing, the API is likely to resemble MS Word automation and you will be able to select printer settings.

Hi,

My company has a web application than produces mail merged docunents client-side.

I have spent most of today Googling around the internet, looking for the best way of moving our letter production server-side whilst retaining the investment of our customers in their thousands of Word documents.

It looks to me that Aspose.Word is the winner but we need to be able to mail merge and print without user intervention.

Your post says that a print facility will be available in 2-3 months. I would like to know if this is a definite commitment or a simply a possible enhancement which might get sidelined if something more important came along?

Thanks…

Hi,

Thanks for your interest in Aspose.Word.

Printing and viewing documents is certainly a major direction for Aspose.Word and we are already working on this.

But at this stage there is no definite release date planned yet, so the best I can do now is ask you to check back soon. I will also post a reply in this topic later when we have some progress so you will get an email notification.

Hi,

Many thanks for your response Roman, I await developments with interest.

Mike

Any news on when Aspose Word will support printing?

A post was split to a new topic: Client side printing

@XJGCYC,

Currently, Aspose.Words provides following overloads of Document.Print Method for printing Word documents on server side:

• Document.Print Method: Prints the whole document to the default printer.
  • Document.Print Method (PrinterSettings): Prints the document according to the specified printer settings, using the standard (no User Interface) print controller. The PrinterSettings object allows you to specify the printer to print on, the range of pages of to print and other options.
  • Document.Print Method (String): Prints the whole Word document to the specified printer, using the standard (no User Interface) print controller.
  • Document.Print Method (PrinterSettings, String): Prints the document according to the specified printer settings, using the standard (no User Interface) print controller and a document name.

You may please also refer to the following section of documentation:
Printing a Word Document