Support for Setting ExternalWorkbookPath of ExternalWorkbook in Charts in C#

Hi Aspose team,

after checking documentation I found how to identify ExternalWorkbookPath of ExternalWorkbook behind charts. Unfortunately, this is ReadOnly property :(.

Would it be possible to create setter also?

Scenario where I need this - I am moving documents to new server (usually SharePoint.Online) and as links are pointing to old location they will stop to work. To be able to update links to new location I’ll need to be able to update ExternalWorkbookPath.

Thanks in advance,
Oliver

@dr_oli,

I have observed your comments. A ticket with ID SLIDESNET-40010 has been created in our issue tracking system to investigate possibility of implementation of your requirements. This thread has been associated with the ticket so that we may share the notification with you once investigation will be completed.

Hi.

I am also in need of editing the external workbook path of linked charts in PowerPoint files.

Is this in the pipeline?

Thanks.

@JohnGrahamLT,

I have observed your comments. I like to inform that issue is still under investigation and we will share good news with you soon. I request for your patience.

HI Aspose team,

any chance to do soon something here? It is now almost one year since I created ticket so first come first served (considering number of changes that you already did) does not work in this case.

Thanks,
Oliver

@dr_oli,

I regret to inform that issue is pending for detail investigation. I also like to inform as per our company policy, the first priority for investigation is given to the Paid Support i.e. Enterprise and Priority Support on first come first serve basis. After that the issues from normal support forum are scheduled for investigation on first come first serve basis. I request for your patience. We will share good news with you soon regarding ETA.

Hi Adnan,

I understand that but as it is not 11,5 months since I reported this missing feature I cannot imagine that it did not come on turn due to so many paid or first come first served requests.

Can you please do me a favor and check with development about some ETA? It is becoming a bit burning on my side.

Btw. I am not the only needing this type of feature.

Thanks a lot,
Oliver

@dr_oli,

We are sorry for your inconvenience. I have raised the issue priority in our issue tracking system to High and will share the good news related to issue as soon as possible.

@dr_oli,

I like to inform that concerned issue is likely to get resolved in Aspose.Slides for .NET 19.4. We will share good news with you as soon as the issue will be fixed.

Great, thanks a lot.
Looking forward to that version :slight_smile:

Hi Mudassir,

just to check - can I still hope that resolution here will be part of 19.4?

Thx,
Oliver

@dr_oli,

We will share good news with you soon.

Hi Aspose team,

any news/estimate here?

Thanks,
Oliver

@dr_oli,

I like to inform that this issue has been resolved. Can you please try to use Aspose.Slides latest version 19.4.

Thanks for update. Btw. Status of this is still on Open.

Now, I tried 2 things:

1. I wanted to replace chrt.ChartData.ExternalWorkbookPath with new path to file that does not exist and after setting chrt.ChartData.SetExternalWorkbook(newText) got error message “Chart uses external workbook. External workbook is not available or can’t be loaded.”

2. I tried to replace old path with new path but this time new path exists and got error “External workbook can’t be edited”

I do not want to edit external workbook but just to replace path and if I do that wrongly this is on my side and in that case I would expect that in PowerPoint no graph is shown but still need functionality that I can replace path.

Any idea?

@dr_oli,

We have added following method that you may try on your end to set the external path.

IChartData.SetExternalWorkbook(string path);

Can you please try suggested option.

I tried your approach and still there are issues. Please check attached project.

BR

Slides.ExternalData.zip (182.3 KB)

@dr_oli,

I have observed your issue. We will share good news with you soon.

@dr_oli,

I like to inform that we are working on fix for this issue and for time being we can suggest workaround. Please try to use following code snippet on your end.

chrData.SetExternalWorkbook(chr.ChartData.ExternalWorkbookPath.Replace(“Book1”, “Book2”).Replace(“file:///”, “”));

Hi Adnan,

I tested few weeks ago and I can recall that this workaround worked but now when I tried again I am getting error “(Error when new Excel does not exist): External workbook is not available or can’t be loaded.”

Error message is weird as old and new Excel exist in target location.

If I do not use .Replace(“file:///”, “”) error message is different:
“(Error when new Excel exists): External workbook can’t be edited”

Btw. I need option to set new value without any Aspose.Slides check. If user does something wrongly this is their responsibility or I’ll build myself check functionality in my application but I do not need Aspose.Slides to enforce any checks. Can that be done?

I attached document with project, PPTX document and also Excel files in correct location.

PPTX.LinkSource.Bug.zip (529.8 KB)