Shape Bugs - Version 15.2.0

First off all, Aspose is a wonderful suite of products. Having said that, 15.2.0 introduced a couple of annoying issues:

1. Shapes inside GroupShapes don’t retain their AlternativeText values, and don’t retain their Name values set in the Word template.
  2. Shapes generated as a result of a mail merge table, somehow share the fill and the stroke which means that changing the color on one of them, changes the color on all of them.

They were working fine in 14.12 with DrawingMLs in GroupShape.

Let me know if you already have these issues logged in your system, because I could provide example code otherwise.

Hi Catalin,

Thanks for your inquiry. It would be great if you please share following detail for investigation purposes.

• Please attach your input Word documents.
  • Please create a standalone/runnable simple application (for example a Console Application Project) that demonstrates the code (Aspose.Words code) you used to generate your output document
  • Please attach the output Word file that shows the undesired behavior.
  • Please attach your target Word document showing the desired behavior. You can use Microsoft Word to create your target Word document. I will investigate as to how you are expecting your final document be generated like.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to say what the problem is without the Document(s) and simplified application. We need your Document(s) and simple project to reproduce the problem.As soon as you get these pieces of information to us we’ll start our investigation into your issue.

Coming back to the original issues. No. 2 was happening on a different version, 15.2 is fine.

But No. 1 is still happening in 15.3.
I’ve also encountered another problem:
3. Shape fill colors are not being saved correctly. They’re saved as percentages instead of hex values, and so the values are off when opening the file in word.

I’ve attached solution with two program:
- Program is for issue No. 1, using template.docx, displays the names and alternate texts of all the groups and shapes in the template. The expected output is in expected-output.docx
- ProgramColors is for issue No. 3, using template-colors.docx, it tries to set the solid fill color of the only shape in the document. If you check the saved document after running this program, you’ll see the red blue and green values in Word are different from those used by the code.

Hi Catalin,

Thanks for sharing the detail.

*catalin.murariu:

• Program is for issue No. 1, using template.docx, displays the names and alternate texts of all the groups and shapes in the template. The expected output is in expected-output.docx*

I have tested the scenario and have managed to reproduce the
same issues at my side. For the sake of correction, I have logged these
problems in our issue tracking system as follow:

WORDSNET - 11855: Shape.AlternativeText returns empty string for shapes inside GroupShape
WORDSNET - 11856: Shape.Name returns empty string for shapes inside GroupShape

I have linked this forum thread to the same issues and you will be notified via this forum thread once these issues are resolved. We apologize for your inconvenience.

*catalin.murariu:

• ProgramColors is for issue No. 3, using template-colors.docx, it tries to set the solid fill color of the only shape in the document. If you check the saved document after running this program, you’ll see the red blue and green values in Word are different from those used by the code.*

I have tested the scenario using latest version of Aspose.Words for .NET 15.4.0 and have not found the shared issue. See the attached image for detail. Please use Aspose.Words for .NET 15.4.0.

I’ve tried 15.4 and it manifests the same problem. I think it has to do with the fact that Aspose saves the colors as RGB percentages for some odd reason instead of a plain hex value. Now, the percentages are correct if you’re considering 255 as your maximum value (which by all means normally you should), but Word might think otherwise. Unfortunately I couldn’t find any documentation on this…

If you open the generated document with Word, you’ll see that the color picker displays different values for the shape fill color than what was specified in the code.

Hi Catalin,

Thanks for sharing the detail. I have tested the scenario and have managed to reproduce the same issue at my side. For the sake of correction, I have logged this problem in our issue tracking system as WORDSNET-11864. I have linked this forum thread to the same issue and you will be notified via this forum thread once this issue is resolved.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-11864) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-11855;WORDSNET-11856) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as ) have been fixed in this Aspose.Words for .NET 18.12 update and this Aspose.Words for Java 18.12 update.