Spreadsheet saved as PDF contains CID fonts

I am using the following code to save an XLST document as a PDF.

Workbook wb = new Workbook(file);
wb.Save(output, SaveFormat.Pdf);

It works fine. The only concern is that when I open the PDF in Acrobat and look at the Font tab in the Properties dialog (File/Properties), every font listed is a CID font. This tends to cause us some processing issues. Saving the document as a PDF in Excel itself does not result in the CID fonts. Is there a way I can prevent this?

Hi,

Could you provide us your template Excel file here, we will check your issue soon.

Also, could you try our latest version/fix: Aspose.Cells for .NET v8.1.2.5 if it makes any difference.

Thank you.

Neither the v8.1.2.5 version nor the v8.2 version made a difference. I am unable to find a Book1.xltx on my file system, which makes me think that Excel is using default settings for the template. I have attached the .xlst file that I’m converting if that helps any as well as the PDF output. Open the PDF in Acrobat, then open File/Properties and look at the Fonts tab to see the CID font list.

Hi,

Thanks for providing us template files.

After an initial test, I observed the issue as you mentioned by converting your template file to PDF. When I checked the File|Properties to check the Fonts in Adobe acrobat, it shows the fonts as CID fonts. If I re-saved the file to PDF in MS Excel manually, it does not show fonts as CID fonts. We need to investigate your issue in details. I have logged a ticket with an id “CELLSNET-42937” for your issue. We will look into it soon.

Once we have any update on it, we will let you know here.

Thank you.

Hi,

By the way, as you said: "every font listed is a CID font. This tends to cause us some processing issues. ", could you please tell us what is the problem you find with CID fonts? give us details.

Thank you.
This is turning into a bit of a slippery slope for us.

CID, as you know, is a very old font system and is not very common nowadays. We have an automated process that converts PDFs to TIFs, and this process fails if we try to convert PDFs that have CID fonts. The vendor whose component we use to do that work says they will not support CID fonts.

We wanted to move away from that vendor anyway, so we tried replacing that vendor component with Aspose.PDF to do the conversions, and this worked well in regression testing. But in volume testing in a multi-threaded application, Aspose.PDF threw Out of Memory exceptions. Aspose support suggested the box was genuinely running out of resources, so we doubled the RAM without making any meaningful differences in the results.

Hi,

Thanks for providing us details.

We will check it out if we can do something for it.

colonial unum:
........We wanted to move away from that vendor anyway, so we tried replacing that vendor component with Aspose.PDF to do the conversions, and this worked well in regression testing. But in volume testing in a multi-threaded application, Aspose.PDF threw Out of Memory exceptions. Aspose support suggested the box was genuinely running out of resources, so we doubled the RAM without making any meaningful differences in the results.

In that case, did you post your issue(s) in Aspose.Pdf forum? If you already did, have they addressed the issue(s) and the issue(s) is resolved or they are still working over it?

Thank you.

The PDF team has replied with some suggestions I’ll be trying out this week.

BTW: In general, I’d like to say that I am consistently impressed by the quality and responsiveness of the support from the Aspose team. Regardless of which component I’m using, I get answers quickly in the forum when I have a question. It makes my job much easier, and it allows me to justify continued use of the Aspose components when I can talk about how dependable the product support is. Thanks for that.

Hi,

Good to know that you got replies from Aspose.Pdf team and you are already working to cope with your issues as suggested by the team.

And thanks for your comments, we always try our level best to help our clients to give help regarding all technical aspects of Aspose products APIs and to figure out their issues if they find any.

Have a nice day!