Starting From Scratch

What is the pro/cons of using an .msi installer versus downloading aspose.words with NuGet in Visual Studio?

I can not find Aspose.words with Visual Studio 2017 - Community Version? When I click Tools -> NuGet Package Manager, I only get 2 options. (1) Package Manager Console, (2) Package Manager Setting.

Please provide super easy instructions (Starting from scratch).

I really want to get started and install this on my local Windows 10 machine.

@Toberville,

Functionality wise, there is no difference. To install Aspose.Words for .NET via NuGet, please follow these simple steps:

• Right-click on the project in Visual Studio for Windows and select Manage NuGet Packages
  • Select the “Browser” tab
  • Enter “Aspose.Words” in the search box
  • Currently, it brings up four package entries
  • Select the Aspose.Words package with green logo
  • On the right-side panel, you can finally click on Install button

Hope, this helps.

Thank You for the response. I am a newbie… I guess I have to create a project first. How do I setup a project? Give me the details like it is my first time in Visual Studio… Project Name, selections, etc…

Thanks in advance.

@Toberville,

For example, to reference Aspose.Words for .NET in a Console Application, please follow the steps below:

• Open Visual Studio 2017
  • From the top menu bar, choose File > New > Project
  • In the New Project dialog box in the left pane, expand C#, and then choose Windows Desktop. In the middle pane, choose Console App (.NET Framework). Then name the file as TestProject.
  • On the right side of VS, click on Solution Explorer
  • Then tight-click on the project and select Manage NuGet Packages
  • Select the “Browser” tab
  • Enter “Aspose.Words” in the search box
  • Currently, it brings up four package entries
  • Select the Aspose.Words package with green logo
  • On the right-side panel, you can finally click on Install button

Hope, this helps.

I could not get Visual Studio 2017 to install Aspose.Words. So I downloaded the MSI and installed Aspose.Words on my windows 10 machine. What are the next steps to develop classic ASP pages via local host and using the Aspose.Words? Do I need to Regasm first? … or do I need to kick Visual Studio and make a com wrapper and then regasm. What .NET framework is needed? I tried to SET an object to the license but get an Active X error.

Looking for some good guidance.

@Toberville,

It is recommended that you create a COM wrapper to be able to use many of the Aspose.Words classes, methods and properties. Please refer to the Creating a Wrapper Assembly section at the end of this page. The steps should be as follows:

• Open Visual Studio and create “Class Library” project and add a reference to latest Aspose.Words assembly. If you already have a COM Wrapper project, please remove the old Aspose.Words reference from it. Clean the project and then add again the reference to latest Aspose.Words assembly.
  • Build the project.
  • Now, you should make your class library (wrapper) signed and visible for COM.
  • After building the project, you should register the DLL again using the following command:
    regasm /codebase AsposeComWrapper.dll
  • Once your helper (wrapper) DLL is registered, you can use it in your classic ASP code.

Assuming that you have created a method with following signature in COM Wrapper:

public void ExportWordToEpub(object inPath, object outPath)

then you can call it in classic ASP like below:

<% 

Dim lic
Set lic = CreateObject("Aspose.Words.License")
lic.SetLicense("C:\temp\Aspose.Words.lic")

Dim comHelper
Set comHelper = CreateObject("AsposeComWrapper.Methods")

comHelper.ExportWordToEpub "C:\temp\in.doc", "C:\temp\out.epub"

%>

Hope, this helps.