Status of Outline Numbering?

Hi!

What is the current status of Outline Numbering? I haven’t been able to find anything recent on the forum, but a few older posts (from circa 2005/6) mention that support for them is poor.

I have a simple Word document with a couple of lines with “outline numbering” applied, and then a few lines formatted as just a plain numbered list. The only visible difference in Word is that they are indented to different levels. However, if you look at the settings for the “bulleting and numbering”, Word can easily identify them as being different.

However, in Aspose both appear to be identical. A simple piece of code to print out some attributes shows:

RUN: “An outlined paragraph with numbering”
IsListItem = True
OutlineLevel = BodyText
ListLevelNumber = 0
NumberStyle = Arabic

RUN: “A paragraph pretending to be a numbered list.”
IsListItem = True
OutlineLevel = BodyText
ListLevelNumber = 0
NumberStyle = Arabic

So both claim that “OutlineLevel” is “BodyText”. My understanding from the documentation is that the first run should have OutlineLevel=“Level1” ?

Apart from the left indent and list number position attributes, I can’t seem to find anything else different between them.

Best regards
Mark.

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your request. All paragraphs in your document have Outline level “Body Text”. You can easily check this yourself (see the attached screenshot). That is why Aspose.Words also returns Outline = “Body Text”.
Regarding lists, both of them are just regular lists, they just use different list templates.
Could you please provide me more information about your requirements? I will investigate your issue and provide you more information.
Best regards.

Hi,

Ah, OK - I was confusing “outline level” with “outline numbering”. The two “lists” are different in one aspect, as shown in the following two screenshots. It is this difference I am interested in - “outline numbering” is apparently used to give paragraph numbering, at least by a number of our customers. And we want to be able to differentiate between paragraph numbering and numbered lists. I understand now that this might not be possible given the way Word works?

Regards,
Mark.

Hi

Thanks for your request. As I mentioned, these list differ only by templates used to create them. If you take a look at ListTamplate enumeration, you will find there are few Outline templates, like OutlineNumbers, OutlineBullets etc.
https://reference.aspose.com/words/net/aspose.words.lists/listtemplate/
Best regards.