Support for File References in Formulas

Laurence,

in addition to “complex” sheet names, would it be possible to also support references to different files, like so (also including spaces for filenames / sheets):

[File.xls]Sheet!A1

In addition, when you create a new sheet that contains formulas with references to other sheets in the same workbook and then Worksheet.Copy() the formula sheet to a different Workbook, there seems to be a copy problem in that I wasn’t able to open the workbook (attached - The second sheet is the one in question)

PS: Sorry to bother you again Big Smile

Regards

Kai

Hi Kai,

We will investigate the feature for reference to other files.

About the Worksheet.Copy for formula reference issue, it’s really difficult to implement.

For example:

In book1.xls, there are two worksheets: Sheet1 and Sheet2. In cell A1 of Sheet1, there is a formula: “=Sheet2!B2”. When you use Worksheet.Copy method to copy Sheet1 to another workbook, what should this formula be? In MS Excel, this formula may be changed to “=[book1.xls]!Sheet2!B2”. However, in Aspose.Excel, file name of source workbook may be unknow for you may open it from a stream.

Laurence,

thanks for the feedback. Of course you are right with what you are saying about Excel files loaded from streams etc.; didn’t think about this. I assume implementing support for setting formuals incl. references to other files shouldn’t be too much of a hassle, though. This would tremendously help my in my current situation.

Regards

Kai

Laurence,

any updates on this issue?

Regards

Kai

Not yet. It's a complex feature. Could you please wait for about 2 weeks? Thanks for your patience.

Laurence,

of course, no worries. Just curious about the progress. I thought the complexity was related to the Copy() issue and not to the feature supporting File references in formulas.

Thanks for the update

Regards

Kai