Table in RDL is being exported as many shapes- not PowerPoint table

Hello, Aspose support team.

We have some issue with export of tables in RDL to PowerPoint. Our customer has purchased Aspose.Slides for Reporting Service 2005.

So when we export RDL with table inside to PowerPoint, the Aspose generates table in PowerPoint by creating many PowerPoint shapes and not a table as we would expected.

This causes some issue, when the customers are trying to move/resize the table.

Is it possible to make Aspose to generate a table and not a collection of shapes ?

Hi Eduard,

Thanks for your interest interest in Aspose.Slides.

I have observed the problem specified by you but in order to add the issue in issue tracking system, I need to reproduce the issue on my end. For that, please share the RDL file along with the data set so that I may help you out further. Looking forward for your positive feedback.

Thanks and Regards,

Hi Eduard,

I have discussed the issue with Aspose.Slides development team . Actually, it is not an issue with Aspose.Slides and the behavior that you have observed is absolutely correct. unfortunately the functionality of PowerPoint's tables is not enough for correct reports exporting. So, each cell is exported as separate shape. Hope it resolves your issue.

Thanks and Regards,

Hi.

The problem with table being built from many shapes is that the customer can’t move this table over the presentation. He has to create a group of shapes using the PowerPoint "Group" functionality.

Now, we have a license for Aspose.Slides for .NET which we use to manipulate the ppt file exported by Reporting Services. Is functionality to create a grouping of shapes available in Aspose.Slides for .NET ?

Regards.

Eduard.

Hi Eduard,

Yes, Aspose.Slides for .NET supports grouping of shapes. Please proceed to this forum link to see how to group shapes together. Hopefully, it will resolve your query.

Thanks and Regards,

Mudassir

I am having the same problem using my evaluation version of Slides for SSRS . Can you confirm that this will occur with all tables.

The product description for Slides for SSRS states:

“Aspose.Slides for Reporting Services exports reports as Microsoft
PowerPoint presentations in such a way that they appear identical to
reports exported by the built-in renderers of Microsoft SQL Server
Reporting Services. Aspose.Slides for Reporting Services employs a smart
technology to produce “editable” Microsoft PowerPoint presentations.
Tables and matrices from the report are exported as “normal” Microsoft
PowerPoint tables, not as hundreds of absolutely positioned rectangles
with textframes.

from

SSRS SQL PPT | Aspose.Slides PowerPoint API | products.aspose.com

Mudassir:

Hi Eduard,

I have discussed the issue with Aspose.Slides development team . Actually, it is not an issue with Aspose.Slides and the behavior that you have observed is absolutely correct. unfortunately the functionality of PowerPoint's tables is not enough for correct reports exporting. So, each cell is exported as separate shape. Hope it resolves your issue.

Thanks and Regards,

Hi Paolo,

Thanks for considering Aspose.Slides.

You are very right in raising your point that in product specification page it has been mentioned that tables are exported as normal PowerPoint table, which is in clear contradiction to what you have referenced from thread post. Actually, initial versions of Aspose.Slides for RS generated real PowerPoint tables but it was absolutely not possible to create high quality positioning and formatting of those tables. Since, the functionality of PowerPoint's tables is not enough for correct reports exporting. So, each cell is exported as separate shape idea was adopted. We are greatly sorry for the inconvenience and I shall update the product specification page to avoid any confusion.

Thanks for pointing this mistake and we feel sorry for your nuisance,