We're sorry Aspose doesn't work properply without JavaScript enabled.

Free Support Forum - aspose.com

The 'br' start tag on line 19 does not match the end tag of 'i'

Hi there, I’m trying to open an Excel 2007 xlsm file with your current Aspose.Cells trial. One of my xlsm files opens without any issue. Another xlsm file doesn’t open. I get this stack trace. Any ideas? Thx

The ‘br’ start tag on line 19 does not match the end tag of ‘i’. Line 20, position 24.

<font face="Arial, Helvetica, Geneva, SunSans-Regular, sans-serif ">

<b> Description: </b>An

unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web
request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the
error and where it originated in the code.

<b> Exception Details: </b>System.Xml.XmlException: The 'br' start tag on line 19 does not match the end tag of 'i'. Line 20, position 24.<br><br>

<b>Source Error:</b> <br><br>

<table bgcolor="#ffffcc" width="100%">
           <tbody><tr>
              <td>
                  <code>

An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the
current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of
the exception can be identified using the exception stack trace below.

</td>
           </tr>
        </tbody></table>

<br>

<b>Stack Trace:</b> <br><br>

<table bgcolor="#ffffcc" width="100%">
           <tbody><tr>
              <td>
                  <code></code><pre>[XmlException: The 'br' start tag on line 19 does not match the end tag of 'i'. Line 20, position 24.]<br>   System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(Exception e) +90<br>   System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Throw(String res, String[] args) +77<br>   System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ThrowTagMismatch(NodeData startTag) +211<br>   System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseEndElement() +1947048<br>   System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.ParseElementContent() +424<br>   System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Read() +29<br>   System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Read() +12<br>   System.Xml.XmlTextReaderImpl.Skip() +190<br>   System.Xml.XmlTextReader.Skip() +12<br>   Aspose.Cells.OpenXML.xc19840d0e6d3f1b3.xfe4f7dca36c0076c(XmlTextReader xb9763b0038341e6c, Int32& xa806b754814b9ae0, Int32& xf0476e906b9d9af4, String& x7a2cbeee2739f0db) +128<br>   Aspose.Cells.OpenXML.xc19840d0e6d3f1b3.x06b0e25aa6ad68a9(XmlTextReader xb9763b0038341e6c) +225<br>   Aspose.Cells.OpenXML.x9d49ab444acbddce.x2bf47e02dab69db1(x1f5f0dd7560ed867 xd9171314ec0b2957) +157<br>   Aspose.Cells.OpenXML.x9d49ab444acbddce.x88ae89d546ee9fdf() +227<br>   Aspose.Cells.OpenXML.x9d49ab444acbddce.x06b0e25aa6ad68a9() +98<br>   Aspose.Cells.OpenXML.xe95a61e48a6637a3.x2e7f798eabefe5b4(Workbook xce16031e3118b903, Stream xcf18e5243f8d5fd3) +89<br>   Aspose.Cells.Workbook.Open(Stream stream, FileFormatType type) +470<br>   Aspose.Cells.Workbook.Open(String fileName) +78<br>   xyz.Reports.SPIDER.OpHist.CompStatementsDownloadCurrentCommand.RunDownload() +89</pre></td></tr></tbody></table></font><br>

Hi,

Could you post the error xlsm file here? We will check it soon.

Thank you

Hi Karen, how should I send the file to you versus posting on the public support forum?
Thanks
Shan

Please attach the file in your reply post or send it to nanjing@aspose.com.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thank you.

The issue file is received. We will check it soon.

Thank you

Hi Shan,

As you know, xlsx and xlsm format file is a zip format file. If you rename the issue file to a zip file and unzip it to a folder, you will find it contains many .xml files and some .vml files. Each .vml file contains some drawing info of one sheet, such as button and comment shapes. Our program throws exception when reading inner file /xl/drawing/vmlDrawing1.vml.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Since VML is based on the XML standard, we use XmlTextReader class to parse .vml files. But it is strange that this .vml file is not well xml formatted. It contains a start tag
and has no corresponding end tag. So the XmlTextReader class throws exception when it reaches the tag. Currently we cannot solve this issue.

If you still need to parse the file with Aspose.Cells, Please try:

Open the file in Ms Excel 2007 and delete sheet “Summ”’s button “Clean Tables - Standard Matrix”’s displaying text and type in the text again and resave the file. The resaved file should be ok with Aspose.Cells.

Or you can use the attached file of this post. It also works ok with Aspose.Cell.

Could you tell us how this file is created? Did you create it with Ms Excel 2007 or with other tool?

Thank you

Karen as I requested before emailing these files, I didn’t want to share these proprietary files on the forum. I absolutely do not want to make these files available to other users of the forum, please. Can you ensure that they are not shared? Thanks.

Btw Karen, I do see that the Excel file has a button on the worksheet where the
tag is. The user that specified button text had specified text across two lines with the enter key. I removed the new line character, and resaved the Excel file. The corrupt
tag is gone. I tried reproducing the issue by putting a newline character in myself with my Office 2007 version of Excel. I saved and then reviewed the appropriate VML files and there was a
tag. So you’re right, it is an issue with Microsoft’s implementation of VML because of it’s poor HTML support that it uses throughout its office products.

Hi Shan,

I removed the file from the forum. Next time if you don't want to disclose your information to others, you can create a private thread. Then only you and Aspose can see it.

Hi Laurence, I had emailed the file after asking Karen how I should send the file to you versus posting on the forum, The 'br' start tag on line 19 does not match the end tag of 'i'. After emailing the file to you I then noticed that it showed up in this thread because someone from your end must have uploaded it. Anyhow, as long as it’s removed, next time I’ll create a private thread in order to avoid communication issues.
Shan