We're sorry Aspose doesn't work properply without JavaScript enabled.

Free Support Forum - aspose.com

Thumbnail Generation Issues

Hello, We are using Aspose.Words/Aspose.Cells,/Aspose.Slides with Aspose.Pdf to generate thumbnails of office documents.

What we want are not thumbnail images of all pages, but only the first page thumbnail of each document.

But, now, Aspose.Words.Save method saves all pages into PDF.
Then, we have our own program extracting the first page from the PDF and convert it to JPEG.

This algorythm takes so much time.
We want to make thumbnails for more than 1,000,000 doc files,
but it seems to take months, which is not acceptable at all.

I think , loading all pages, parsing allpages , and converting all pages is too much
for file thumbnail generation. (because we only need the first page)

So, When loading documents, I want to set the maximum page number,
so that only the first page is read ,parsed and converted. And this well
dramatically affect the speed of thumbnail generation .

Do you have any plans of enhancing Aspose products, so that it
supports such batch conversion of many files ?

Thank you.

Hello Kunikazu.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thank you for asking this.

As I can expect you are converting the whole documents to PDF and then extracting first pages with Aspose.Pdf.Kit. This approach gives really low performance.

Now we are developing another component Aspose.Words.Viewer. You can evaluate it in beta state. DocumentRenderer class allows you to render document into individual pages:

Document doc = new Document(fileName);

DocumentRenderer renderer = new DocumentRenderer(doc);

Bitmap[] pages = renderer.GetPages();

After rendering you can index the array with zero-based indexes so first page is pages[0]. In the future another function rendering only one page will be available but now it is being developed.

Current estimate for the first production version release of AsposeWords.Viewer is end of 2007, but it is not very reliable. The estimate was pushed several times due to the complexity and other important features we had to work on. Most probably it could be available in Q2 2008.

Regards,

Thanks.

>Now we are developing another component Aspose.Words.Viewer.

Document doc = new Document(fileName);

DocumentRenderer renderer = new DocumentRenderer(doc);

Bitmap[] pages = renderer.GetPages();

Yes, I 've evaluated Aspose.Words.Viewer, too.

Currently, it's in beta status and its rendering quality was not better than that of

AsPose.Words' "Save as Pdf" function.

>In the future another function rendering only one page will be available but now it is being developed.

That's what exactly I've been expected.
For mission critical systems, "progressive" processing is essential .

I will really appreciate your hard work.

Thank you.

Hi<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

We are happy to tell you that the new Rendering Engine has replaced the “old Viewer Beta”. The Rendering Engine can print, save as images or draw onto .NET Graphics object any document page.

Please see Aspose.Words documentation to learn more about new features.

SaveToImage method renders document pages into images:

http://www.aspose.com/documentation/file-format-components/aspose.words-for-.net-and-java/aspose.words.document.savetoimage_overloads.html

In additional, new Rendering engine allows you to convert Word document to PDF directly (without using Aspose.Pdf).

SaveToPdf method converts the whole document or selected pages to PDF.

http://www.aspose.com/documentation/file-format-components/aspose.words-for-.net-and-java/aspose.words.document.savetopdf_overloads.html

The latest version of Aspose.Words is available for download from here:

http://www.aspose.com/community/files/51/file-format-components/aspose.words/entry158153.aspx

Best regards,