Thumbnails issue : font thickness

Hi,

I’m creating full size slides previews and I’ve got the right font installed on the server, but it looks like I have a weight/thickness issue on one of my fonts. When it’s bold it’s fine, otherwise it’s too thin.

The slide : Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life
How it should look like (less the colors) : Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life
How it looks like after gethumbnail : Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life

Is this something you can reproduce on your side ?
Font is : Lato - Google Fonts

Thanks

@alb1,
Thank you for the issue description. Could you share the presentation file and a code example reproducing the problem, please?

Oops, sorry I missed my copy paste on the first link.
Here’s the pptx : Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life

For the code, I’m running through Jpype:

asposePresentation = jpype.JClass("com.aspose.slides.Presentation")
    asposePresentationFactory = jpype.JClass("com.aspose.slides.PresentationFactory")()
    renderingOptions = jpype.JClass("com.aspose.slides.RenderingOptions")

pres = asposePresentation(file_location)  
    thumbnails = pres.getThumbnails(renderingOptions(), 3.0, 3.0)

Thanks !

I’ve tried a bit more, looks like it’s using the Lato-ExtraLight font instead of the Lato Regular that is saved in the slide.

Here are the fonts installed on the server :

root@api-sys:~# docker exec -ti 74417ed429ba fc-list | grep -i "Lato"
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/google-fonts/Lato-SemiBoldItalic.ttf: Lato,Lato SemiBold:style=SemiBold Italic,Italic
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/google-fonts/Lato-Thin.ttf: Lato,Lato Thin:style=Thin,Regular
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/google-fonts/Lato-BoldItalic.ttf: Lato:style=Bold Italic
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/google-fonts/Lato-ExtraBoldItalic.ttf: Lato,Lato ExtraBold:style=ExtraBold Italic,Italic
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/google-fonts/Lato-Regular.ttf: Lato:style=Regular
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/google-fonts/Lato-Bold.ttf: Lato:style=Bold
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/google-fonts/Lato-Black.ttf: Lato,Lato Black:style=Black,Regular
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/google-fonts/Lato-MediumItalic.ttf: Lato,Lato Medium:style=Medium Italic,Italic
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/google-fonts/Lato-Light.ttf: Lato,Lato Light:style=Light,Regular
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/google-fonts/Lato-ExtraLightItalic.ttf: Lato,Lato ExtraLight:style=ExtraLight Italic,Italic
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/google-fonts/Lato-SemiBold.ttf: Lato,Lato SemiBold:style=SemiBold,Regular
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/google-fonts/Lato-BlackItalic.ttf: Lato,Lato Black:style=Black Italic,Italic
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/google-fonts/Lato-Italic.ttf: Lato:style=Italic
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/google-fonts/Lato-Medium.ttf: Lato,Lato Medium:style=Medium,Regular
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/google-fonts/Lato-LightItalic.ttf: Lato,Lato Light:style=Light Italic,Italic
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/google-fonts/Lato-ThinItalic.ttf: Lato,Lato Thin:style=Thin Italic,Italic
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/google-fonts/Lato-ExtraLight.ttf: Lato,Lato ExtraLight:style=ExtraLight,Regular
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/google-fonts/Lato-ExtraBold.ttf: Lato,Lato ExtraBold:style=ExtraBold,Regular

There actually seems to be the same issue with the title which is too bold compared to what I have on screen while building the slide (Google Font “Montserrat ExtraBold”)

Thanks

@alb1,
Unfortunately, I was unable to reproduce the errors. Please check the issue with the latest version of Aspose.Slides. Also, please check the accessibility of fonts (try to read a font file to a stream in your application, for example). If errors still occur, please provide information about the environment in which this code is executed (OS version and distribution, JDK version).

Hi, can you show me the thumbnail that you’re getting with the elements shared above to make sure it looks like what I have on powerpoint on my side ?
The fonts are accessible because they are the right ones (the fonts shown are Lato and Montserrat, just not on the right weight)

I’m using zulu jdk 8 and python 3.6 and JPype1 on Docker.

@alb1,
Here is our output file: thickness-out.png (224.0 KB).

Hi and thanks.
Can you try installing the Lato font ? This seems to be using a generic font
You can download it from here : Lato - Google Fonts

Thanks !

@alb1,
I have logged the issue in our tracking system with ID SLIDESJAVA-38503 to investigate further. I will inform you about any progress.

Thanks !
We’re basically building a slides viewer based on the thumbnails, so this issue is a real painpoint for now.
Not sure that it makes a difference, but the .pptx file has been saved through powerpoint for Mac

@alb1,
We are doing our best to help you.

Thank you, we will take this information into account.

Just checking if you’ve been able to reproduce the issue with the fonts installed ?
I basically have 2 fonts on the slide :

For the ‘regular’ text it uses the thinnest font available on the system (called “Lato Hairline”, instead of “Lato Regular”) and for the titles it seems to be using the right one (MontSerrat ExtraBold)

That’s quite a blocker for our slideviewer. Thanks a lot !

@alb1,
Thank you for your request. Our development team will check it.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as SLIDESJAVA-38503) have been fixed in this update.