Tomcat 8 throwing this error

When tomcat starts I see thsi error in the tomcat error log…

[jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files/Apache%20Software%20Foundation/Tomcat%208.0/webapps/RiskRadar/WEB-INF/lib/aspose-words-19.3-jdk17.jar!/] for annotations
org.apache.tomcat.util.bcel.classfile.ClassFormatException: Invalid byte tag in constant pool: 19

@john.nelson

Aspose.Words does work with Tomcat 8. Could you please share complete steps that you are using to reproduce this issue at our end? Please also share the code and document. We will investigate the issue and provide you more information on it.

It’s pretty basic. I am running a java web application and I include the apsoe word and power point jar files inside a WAR file. I stop tomcat, copy the WAR file into the Tomcat/webapps folder, start tomcat and when I view the tomcat logs – with nothing more than starting tomcat – here is what it says….

05-Apr-2019 08:19:55.459 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-1] org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.processAnnotationsJar Unable to process Jar entry [META-INF/versions/9/module-info.class] from Jar [jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files/Apache%20Software%20Foundation/Tomcat%208.0/webapps/RiskRadar/WEB-INF/lib/aspose-words-19.3-jdk17.jar!/] for annotations
org.apache.tomcat.util.bcel.classfile.ClassFormatException: Invalid byte tag in constant pool: 19
at org.apache.tomcat.util.bcel.classfile.Constant.readConstant(Constant.java:97)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.bcel.classfile.ConstantPool.(ConstantPool.java:55)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.bcel.classfile.ClassParser.readConstantPool(ClassParser.java:176)
at org.apache.tomcat.util.bcel.classfile.ClassParser.parse(ClassParser.java:85)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.processAnnotationsStream(ContextConfig.java:2011)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.processAnnotationsJar(ContextConfig.java:1961)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.processAnnotationsUrl(ContextConfig.java:1936)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.processAnnotations(ContextConfig.java:1897)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.webConfig(ContextConfig.java:1149)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.configureStart(ContextConfig.java:771)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.lifecycleEvent(ContextConfig.java:305)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleSupport.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleSupport.java:95)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.fireLifecycleEvent(LifecycleBase.java:90)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext.startInternal(StandardContext.java:5080)
at org.apache.catalina.util.LifecycleBase.start(LifecycleBase.java:150)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChildInternal(ContainerBase.java:725)
at org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.addChild(ContainerBase.java:701)
at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHost.addChild(StandardHost.java:717)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR(HostConfig.java:945)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig$DeployWar.run(HostConfig.java:1798)
at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

@john.nelson

We have tested the scenario using the latest version of Aspose.Words for Java 19.4 and Aspose.Slides for Java 19.3. We have not found the shared issue. Please try the latest version of Aspose.Words and Aspose.Slides.

I downloaded the latest version of aspose word and powerpoint jars. I still get this text in the tomcat stderr.log…

15-Apr-2019 12:47:44.763 INFO [localhost-startStop-2] org.apache.catalina.startup.HostConfig.deployWAR Deploying web application archive C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 8.0\webapps\RiskRadar.war
15-Apr-2019 12:47:50.108 SEVERE [localhost-startStop-2] org.apache.catalina.startup.ContextConfig.processAnnotationsJar Unable to process Jar entry [META-INF/versions/9/module-info.class] from Jar [jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files/Apache%20Software%20Foundation/Tomcat%208.0/webapps/RiskRadar/WEB-INF/lib/aspose-words-19.4-jdk17.jar!/] for annotations

@john.nelson

Could you please ZIP and attach your WAR file here for testing? We will investigate the issue and provide you more information on it.

A post was split to a new topic: Unable to process Jar entry