Unable to extract barcode image from pdf

The attached pdf contains a datamatrix barcode, and nothing else. I tried extracting images, but none were extracted. How can I extract this barcode to read it? I am using the evaluation Aspose.Total for .Net with a 30-day temporary license.

Side note: I can convert the entire page to an image using jpegDevice, and then read the barcode, but that is pretty slow and I would rather just extract the bar code and read it directly.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your inquiry. I have tested the scenario with both Aspose.Pdf and Adobe, but I am unable to extract image from your shared PDF document. However I have logged an investigation ticket PDFNEWNET-38372 in our issue tracking for further investigation. We will keep you updated about the issue resolution progress.

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Best Regards,

Tilal,

Thank you for your quick response. I'm not a PDF expert, but here is some more information that I was able to glean. Looking at my documents in Adobe Acrobat X Pro, the properties of the barcode show "Type: Image", but other graphics show "Type: XObject: Image". After searching the Web on these topics, I suspect that the barcodes are embedded as "inline images", rather than "XObject images".

I also searched the Aspose.Pdf forum for "inline image". I found some posts from 2006 that seem to indicate that Aspose.Pdf doesn't support inline images. This may or may not be relevant to the problem I am having extracting images from my documents.

Please let me know when you get any more information.

Thanks!

Steve

Hi Steve,

Thanks for sharing your findings. Please note inline image extraction is supported now in Aspose.PDF. However we have passed your findings to our product team. They will consider these during their investigation. We will notify you as soon as we made some significant progress towards issue resolution.

Thanks for your patience and cooperation.

Best Regards,

We have approval and funds to purchase Aspose.Total .Net. I was looking forward to all the features it offers. However, this issue has cast doubt on the product. We are now being asked to look for another product to perform this function. Please let us know if this issue is resolved in the near future.

Hi Steve,

As shared earlier by Tilal, he was unable to extract images using this API, as well as using Adobe. However an investigation ticket is logged in JIRA to evaluate PDF document structure and as per schedule, the development team will investigate this scenario in details.

I am afraid currently I cannot confirm the timelines by which this issue will be fixed. However as soon as we have some definite news regarding its resolution, we will let you know.

Hi Steve,

In reference to the ticket ID PDFNET-38372, there are no images in the PDF document and the barcode is drawn with characters. You can convert each PDF page to image for the barcode recognition purposes. Please refer to this help topic: Convert PDF Page to an Image