Unable to open any exported files after update to version 19.3


#1

I’ve manually registered the assembly and checked the rsreportserver.config file and restarted the report server service but exporting to any Excel format will not open.

The message is “Excel cannot open the file ‘[report name].xlsm’ because the file format or file extension is not valid. Verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file.” I’ve replaced the actual file name with [report name].


#2

I left out that is is Cells for Reporting Services.


#3

@berlblack,

Please make sure that all instructions mentioned in Installation section are followed and latest version Aspose.Cells for Reporting Services 19.3 is used. If you still face the issue, please post rsreportserver.config and rssrvpolicy.config files here, we will check it soon.


#4

@berlblack,

If you have updated Aspose.Cells.ReportingServices.dll on report server, you do not need to manually register the assembly on report server. You only need to copy Aspose.Cells.ReportingServices.dll into ${ Report Server installation folder }/bin/ .

Please tell us SQL Server Reporting Services version and provide us the exported Excel file, report definition file, the rsreportserver.config file and so on. We will check it as soon as possible.


#5

I responded by email since I couldn’t find a way to attach files here.


#6

@berlblack,

I could not get your mail. I think you may zip the files and attach it here, we will check it soon.


#7

What-If_Report.zip (52.8 KB)

I have uninstalled Aspose and reinstalled the old version 2.2.0 which is working now but I’d like to get the latest version working since we just paid for it.


#8

@berlblack,

Thanks for providing us report definition file, config files and exported files.

We noticed the issue with your exported files. We need to investigate your issue in details. I have logged a ticket with an id “CELLSRS-551” for your issue. We will look into it soon.

Once we have an update on it, we will let you know.


#9

@berlblack,

We found the issue and are in the process of fixing it. Please provide your environment details, e.g OS and SSRS version, so we could provide the fixed DLL accordingly.


#10

OS version is Windows Server 2008 R2 Standard Service Pack 1. 64-bit
Report server is SQL Server 2008 R2, product version 10.50.6542.0.


#11

@berlblack,

Thanks for providing us environment details.

I have logged your details into our database. We will surely provide the fix as per your environment.


#12

@berlblack,

Please try the fixed version Aspose.Cells for for RS v19.3.1 (attached)
Your issue should be fixed in it.

Copy Aspose.Cells.ReportingServices.dll into ${SSRS 2008R2 installation folder}/ReportServer/bin folder.

Let us know your feedback.
ACRS.2008R2.V19.3.1.zip (5.0 MB)


#13

Yes, that worked.

Thank you.


#14

@berlblack,

Good to know that you issue is sorted out by the new fix/version. Feel free to contact us any time if you need further help or have some other issue or queries, we will be happy to assist you soon.


#15

I do have another problem when trying to create a new report (attached). I’ve selected a valid shared data source but publishing fails. The Report Server log entry is below.

library!ReportServer_0-35!174c!04/15/2019-11:52:23:: Call to GetDataSourceContentsAction(/Data Sources/MBSReports).
library!ReportServer_0-35!174c!04/15/2019-11:52:23:: Call to ListChildrenAction(/, True).
library!ReportServer_0-35!174c!04/15/2019-11:52:24:: Call to CreateReportAction(Vendor_Stock_Report_V2, /Test, True).
library!ReportServer_0-35!174c!04/15/2019-11:52:25:: Call to ListChildrenAction(/, True).
library!ReportServer_0-35!174c!04/15/2019-11:52:27:: Call to GetItemTypeAction(/Test/Vendor_Stock_Report_V2).
library!ReportServer_0-35!174c!04/15/2019-11:52:27:: Call to GetReportItemReferencesAction(/Test/Vendor_Stock_Report_V2).
library!ReportServer_0-35!174c!04/15/2019-11:52:27:: Call to GetItemDataSourcesAction(/Test/Vendor_Stock_Report_V2).
library!ReportServer_0-35!174c!04/15/2019-11:52:27:: Call to SetItemDataSourcesAction(/Test/Vendor_Stock_Report_V2).
library!ReportServer_0-35!174c!04/15/2019-11:52:27:: e ERROR: Throwing Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.InvalidParameterException: , Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Utilities.InvalidParameterException: The value of parameter 'DataSources' is not valid.;

Vendor_Stock_Report_V2.zip (19.3 KB)


#16

@berlblack,

Thanks for providing report definition file and template Excel file with server logs.

We need to investigate your issue in details. I have logged a ticket with an id “CELLSRS-553” for your issue. We will look into it soon.

Once we have an update on it, we will let you know.


#17

@berlblack,

We have thoroughly tested your issue and could not find the issue. Please set the data source by using Select button (see the attached image “1.PNG” for your reference). And, we will fix the Textbox of data source to set it as read-only.

Let us know if you still find any issue.
1.PNG (26.9 KB)


#18

That is what I was doing. I uninstalled and reinstalled the client. I had to register the assembly, I believe because I’m running 64-bit Excel.

I was able to publish to the report server after that.


#19

@berlblack,

Good to know that you have sorted out your issue by re-registering the assembly. Feel free to contact us any time if you need further help or have some other issue or queries, we will be happy to assist you soon.


#20

@berlblack,

This is to inform you that we have fixed your issue (logged earlier as “CELLSRS-553”) now. We will soon provide you the fixed version after performing QA and incorporating other enhancements and fixes.