Unreadable sendername after converting .msg to eml

Attached to this support question, you will find a rar containing a sample.msg file. When I try to convert this .msg file to it's .eml equivalent,I get special character issues on the sender name (header). How can this issue be solved ?

At the moment this is how i do the conversion according to the API:

MailMessage msg = MailMessage.Load(pathofMsg, MailMessageLoadOptions.DefaultMsg);
msg.Save(pathtoEml, SaveOptions.DefaultEml);

I am using: 4.0 Aspose.Email for .NET

Please should you need further information, don't hesitate to contact me.

Hi David,

Thank you for posting your inquiry.

Could you please post your sample code alongwith a screenshot for how you are checking the value of the header? We have converted the MSG file, which is in draft format, to EML and the sender header is not available in the output EML file. Your feedback will help us investigate the issue further at our end.

PS: Please use the latest version of the API i.e. Aspose.Email for .NET 17.2.0 and see if it resolves your issue.

Hello Kashif,

The email I sent before was indeed draft. Here in this new correspondence, I attached a rar containing the .msg file titled “Test2.msg” and a folder containing 2 files, the generated .eml and screenshot of opened .eml in outlook.

The conversion mechanism is within your api (msg.Save(pathtoEml, SaveOptions.DefaultEml);) so i can’t access that side to provide the value during conversion.

Kind regards,

Frank

Hi Frank,

Thank you for sharing the sample MSG file. We already have such an issue logged at our end with id: EMAILNET-38646 for another MSG file. Due to the similar nature of this issue, we have linked this thread with the same ticket. Once the issue is investigated further and there is some update or a fix version available for this issue, we’ll update you here via this thread.

Hello Kashif,

Is there any time estimate on when this can be resolved ? This software is already in production and our client will like to be updated as soon as possible.

regards,

Frank

Hi Frank,

The issue is planned to be fixed in the upcoming version of the API i.e. Aspose.Email for .NET 17.3.0 which is due for release at the end of March 2017. We’ll update you here once some information or a fix version available in this regard.

Hi Frank,

Our team has investigated the problem and have come to a conclusion that this is not an issue with our API. The information is correct if we open the EML in other email client such as Thunderbird. It seems the issue is only with MS Outlook. If you use MFCMapi software to convert it to EML and then open the EML in MS Outlook, you will see the same behavior. Please let us know if we can be of any additional help to you in this regard.

Hi Kashif,

My client will like to know what encoding is used by your APIs ? Why is this only a case with MS Outlook ? Also, shouldn’t the goal of converting to .eml entail making sure it works properly on major email applications such as MS Outlook ?

regards,

Frank
Hi Frank,

The encoding of the .eml message depends on the encoding of the .msg file. If the .MSG encoding is Unicode, the .EML encoding is UTF8. Otherwise, the encoding is formed from the MapiMessage.CodePage property. In this case, the issue is not with Aspose.Email API but with the interpretation of the converted by MS Outlook. The same file if converted via MFCMapi appears similar in MS Outlook which shows that it is not something at our end. Please let us know if we can be of any additional help to you in this regard.