UnsupportedFileFormatException when loading plaintext file?

Hello there,

I just stumbled upon some problems with loading plaintext files (e.g. the one included in the attached .zip file) when trying to load them like this, particularly an UnsupportedFileFormatException is thrown:

var document = new Aspose.Words.Document(@“D:\checkouts.txt”, new LoadOptions { LoadFormat = LoadFormat.Text });

…same with no LoadOptions or LoadOptions.Auto.

This happens only with a sub-set of the plaintext files, but nevertheless is a problem. It ‘seems’ to be related to the file’s encoding/format but as a user of your API, I really didn’t expect any such problems nowadays, particularly no matter what the encoding is, the file should load just fine.

The minimum would be a more meaningful exception that I can handle properly as the exception / its message provides no indication for the developer, nor the user to handle it.

Is this a known issue & will be fixed - or even better, known and solved?

Best regards and thanks,
-Jörg
Hi Joerg,

Thanks for your inquiry. I have managed to reproduce the same issue at my side. I have logged this issue as WORDSNET-7274 in our issue tracking system. I have linked this forum thread to the same issue and you will be notified via this forum thread once this issue is resolved.

We apologize for your inconvenience.

Hi Tahir,

thanks for the quick reply & ticket creation. Is there any eta for these kind of issues? This is currently a show stopper for us as we do have lots of these files.

Best regards and thanks,
-Jörg
Hi Joerg,

Thanks for your inquiry. I have verified the status of this issue from our issue tracking system and like to share with you that this issue is under review. Hopefully, the fix of this issue will be available in next release of Aspose.Words.

We appreciate your patience.

Tahir,

according to the link right next to my inital post it says the issue was ‘Resolved’. I was wondering whether that particular version (which is it?) is already available and if so, how it was ‘Resolved’ - as in, are plaintext files now supported no matter what encoding or is there any other way of handling these?

Currently we get a message saying ‘WARNING: the attached text file could not be read because its encoding could not be determined!

… which is not really a useful indicator for our users - as in… what would they be supposed to do now (what encodings ARE supported etc)?

Best regards,
-Jörg Battermann

Hi Jörg,

Thanks for your inquiry. We have a good news for you that is WORDSNET-7274 has now been resolved and its fix will be included in the next version of Aspose.Words (v11.10.0) which is planned to be released by the end of this month (around November’ 30, 2012). We will inform you via this forum thread as soon as the new release is published at the end of the month.

Hi Tahir,

great - thanks!

-Jörg

Hi Jörg,

Please feel free to ask if you have any question about Aspose.Words, we will be happy to help you.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as WORDSNET-7274) have been fixed in this .NET update and this Java update.

This message was posted using Notification2Forum from Downloads module by aspose.notifier.

The issues you have found earlier (filed as ) have been fixed in this update. This message was posted using BugNotificationTool from Downloads module by MuzammilKhan